Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > General Gaming

Notices

General Gaming For the discussion of games from Atari to Zynga.

Old 05-28-2013   #1
MacAtac
Like A Boss

(6063 days)
Threads: 107
Style: Smoke
Mood: Bangable.
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 3 day

MacAtac is a magnificent specimenMacAtac is a magnificent specimen
MacAtac is a magnificent specimenMacAtac is a magnificent specimenMacAtac is a magnificent specimen
Who here games with a PC?

With all this crap concerning the new generation of consoles I've decided to broaden my horizons on gaming platforms. I looked into the Steam Box but nothing really appealed to me about it over anything else on the market. I dropped it and focused on PCs. Keep in mind my PC gaming knowledge is limited to 3D Pinball and that Arma 2 mod called DayZ...

I've always heard gaming PCs are tops and they win 9 times out of 10 over consoles in graphics, performance, etc. But they are mighty expensive. So I was considering building one with parts I buy over time (graphics card here, motherboard there--the case two weeks later). I have a couple questions regarding the whole thing that are making me itch:

How do I know if parts are compatible?
Is 4GB of memory really enough?
How do I know if the case (tower) is large enough?
Do I really need 500GB of HDD space?
I have a laptop I use primarily for work and it has a AMD graphics card that I really don't like (specs: AMD A8--4500M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.90 GHz, 6GB RAM), does AMD make a better card or would I have better luck going with Intel or nVidia?
Is it really possible to make a gaming computer for under $600?
What would you suggest for a recording program?

I guess I just wanted to open up a general thread for PC gamers because I feel that it's necessary given the way console play is headed.

I have a 44" TV I plan on hooking it up to so I'd like it to make the game look good

Last edited by MacAtac; 05-28-2013 at 05:03 PM.
MacAtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #2
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5846 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
I'll answer what I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Is 4GB of memory really enough?
You'll probably want 8GB, and RAM is cheap.

Quote:
Do I really need 500GB of HDD space?
How much, other than games, are you keeping on your computer? I couldn't imagine living with only 500 GB, but then, my anime collection is about 300 GB on its own.

Quote:
I have a laptop I use primarily for work and it has a AMD graphics card that I really don't like (specs: AMD A8--4500M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.90 GHz, 6GB RAM), does AMD make a better card or would I have better luck going with Intel or nVidia?
nVidia has been reliable to me. I didnt even know Intel made GPUs.

Quote:
Is it really possible to make a gaming computer for under $600?
That depends which generation of games you want to play. You can probably build a PC that can run current games with $600, but it would be hard to future-proof your PC with that much unless you're getting some good bargains.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #3
MacAtac
Like A Boss

(6063 days)
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 3 day

MacAtac is a magnificent specimenMacAtac is a magnificent specimenMacAtac is a magnificent specimen
Sorry about the Intel. Got my graphics cards and GPU mixed up. I hear good things about nVidia, so that may be my choice. I'll be keeping gameplay footage on there, as well as games. So maybe 1TB would be fine--what do you think of Solid-State Drives?

Can I just get 16GB of RAM without having to beef up anything else (motherboard, GPU, HDD)?

EDIT: What do you think of this? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/10Wk0

Last edited by MacAtac; 05-29-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-29-2013   #4
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5846 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Quote:
what do you think of Solid-State Drives?
They're fucking amazing. I can barely even remember load times in games. The only issue is that games will load so fast you won't be able to read any messages in the loading screen. And the price, they're pretty expensive for how much space they provide. I have a SSD that I put my OS and big games on, and a 1 TB regular hard drive to store everything else.

Quote:
EDIT: What do you think of this? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/10RVF
That looks like it's pretty comparable to what I'm running, and I'm pretty confident this thing can weather a a decent chunk of this next generation. I spent about $1k on this back in 2010, so that seems about right. I'll run it by my techie friend, though.
Old 05-29-2013   #5
MacAtac
Like A Boss

(6063 days)
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 3 day

I'd be very grateful. I was considering a SSD but I wouldn't know how to implement it usefully. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2013   #6
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5846 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

His response:
Quote:
I'd go for at least a 500W Power supply, And I don't feel comfortable spending less than 150ish for a motherboard. Plus that one is out of stock on newegg
ram is fine but seems expensive for 8 gigs.

the i5 comes with a cpu cooler and unless they are doing overclocking they should be fine, but if they want to be safe that cpu cooler isnt bad for 20 bux.

and video cards I always recomend EVGA, but dont want to say thats a bad card per say. should be fine

reason for more expensive mobo: You get what you dont pay for. never skimp on the mobo, its what everthing is connected to. if anything it should be the part you spend the most time looking up and price comparing.

Oh, and I recomend Western digital hard drives. i know nothing about the reliability of hitachi. but again, doesnt mean its a bad drive.

Old 05-29-2013   #7
MacAtac
Like A Boss

(6063 days)
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 3 day

Excellent response. I'll upgrade the power supply. I'm looking to get the extra cooler because my laptop runs HOT and I don't want that on a desktop if I can help it. I'll update it and put the link down.

PS-- Does he say how long before I need to upgrade something like this?
Old 05-30-2013   #8
MacAtac
Like A Boss

(6063 days)
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 3 day

Anyone here know anything about Solid-State Drives?
Old 05-30-2013   #9
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5846 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Quote:
PS-- Does he say how long before I need to upgrade something like this?
I linked him to this thread under the impression he'd respond, so I didn't follow up to this question, which pretty important.

Its longevity might be an issue, especially if you buy now, or soon. This computer will run current gen just fine, but my friend wasnt sure on how long it would last you into the next gen. A lot of new tech is coming with the new generation, which will lower the price of current stuff. You may want to hold off until it gets closer to the next gen.
Old 05-30-2013   #10
MacAtac
Like A Boss

(6063 days)
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 3 day

You think? Hmm, that's the second time I've heard this. It will be some time before I can afford to start buying these parts so it owuld make sense to wait for the next-gen stuff, and broaden my budget in the meantime.