Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Main Sector > Announcements > Leaves of Absence

Notices

Leaves of Absence If you have to leave for an extended period of time, post about it here.

Old 06-21-2009   #1
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(5533 days)
Threads: 315
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
As if I wasn't already....

Consider this making my LOA official. I have a very good reason for not coming back at the moment, though, and it's very simple: I'm joining the army.

Everyone here knows how anti-war I am and this may come as a shock, but quite frankly, I had an epiphany the other day. Everything that's been happening with North Korea made me realize that the world can be a really dangerous place and there are things worth fighting for. Once upon a time, I thought N. Korea just got a bad rep from the Korean War, but I learned, months ago, about Korean spies kidnapping Japanese citizens to learn their habits (apparently they even wash their faces differently and they wanted convincing spies.) At first I just thought that the North Koreans were being assholes, but the more I think about it, the more worried I get that perhaps they don't take people's lives as seriously as we do, and with them weaponizing all their plutonium... you get my drift.

I realize that this may blow over without incident, and even if it doesn't, the fighting may be over before I'm even done with BMQ (Basic Military Qualification, which I'm guessing involves Boot Camp and basic training,) but the simple fact of the matter is that I feel this is something I have to do. Getting into shape will do me a world of good (and I seriously doubt my girlfriend, Leigh, will mind me putting on muscle), and my "oh, close enough" attitude needs to go as well, which military discipline will help with. Plus, once I'm done with the army, it will look great on my resume.

I'm really glad that the people in my life are supporting me (even Leigh, who I half expected to flat out forbid me from joining, was wishing me luck) with the exception of my sister, but oh well. I'm not too worried about my life being in danger; my uncle was in the army for 20 years and only went overseas once for 6 months. I'll likely go wherever they stick me (my uncle tells me I'll be taking an aptitude test) and with my... under-qualifications, I expect to go into the infantry.

I'm going back to the recruitment center tomorrow. I went twice already, once for imformation and once for my application, except their photocopier was busted and they were out of forms, so I need to go again. They should get back to me late July or early August due to the system being backed up from so many people applying lately due to the economy.

Anyways, this is just a heads up. I'll say this first though: If I get a job before the army calls me back I may lose my resolve by then, but as it stands now, I have a feeling like this is just something I need to do, you know?

Should I not get a chance to see anyone here for awhile, it's been a fun run, and I'll be back once BMQ is done, if possible.
Old 06-21-2009   #2
Irving1992
Katon! Goukakyuu No Justu!

(4932 days)
Threads: 127
Style: Darkfire
Mood: Peaks and Valleys
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 4 day

Irving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimen
Irving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimen
Send a message via AIM to Irving1992 Send a message via Yahoo to Irving1992
Best of luck Saph. Come back safe.

Irving1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #3
The Deity
Combat Extraordinaire

(6031 days)
Threads: 538
Style: Darkfire
Mood: Pissed
Time spent on board:
1 month 1 week 5 day

The Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to all
The Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to The Deity
I have a lot of respect for this. Best of luck with training.

To Live a Thousand Years
The Deity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #4
Dark Luther
Jackal...

(5991 days)
Threads: 464
Mood: Casually shell shocked.....
Time spent on board:
2 week 5 day 9 hour

Dark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Dark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Dark Luther
The best of luck to you sir,
my hopes are for us to cross paths on the field someday...

I'm sending you a message with some advise though, please mind it as I've known many to do impulsive actions with recruitment...

Despite it all, I'm sure the Army will make you a true man sir, and your good parts will show all the better...

I won't die I won't go away I'll always be here
no good asking me I won't speak

no words sitting alone night in my hut eyes closed hands open
wisps of an unknown face

hear the cruel no-answer until blood drips down
beat your head against the wall of it

we're lost where the mind can't find us
utterly lost

- Ikkyū
Dark Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #5
Goldiroxxor
Mon Collie Knight

(6118 days)
Threads: 1415
Style: Smoke
Time spent on board:
4 month 0 week 5 day

Goldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leader
Goldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leader
See ya saphy. With luck you won't be shipped out anywhere most likely.
Goldiroxxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #6
Blue Dragoon
Ol' Yeller

(5755 days)
Threads: 17
Style: Smoke
Time spent on board:
1 day 23 hour 32 min

Blue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie person
Blue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie person
Send a message via AIM to Blue Dragoon
I don't know you dude, but i have alot of respect for you! Anyone in the army for that matter. I hope you come back safe! Good luck man!
Blue Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #7
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5846 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
I was going into politics with a similar, less physical goal in mind.

That said, holy fuck you do not want to join the army for that reason. If North Korea turns into a ground war, it will will make Iraq look like something that goes on in the playground of an elementary school. Their "million man army" is a gross underestimate - if we go in there, boots on the ground like Iraq, we'd be fighting roughly 23 million. 22 million of those would be malnourished and crippled civilians, both women and children, that would be attacking you, and that you would have to shoot or be killed. Like you said, you're anti-war, so I wouldn't expect you to be cold enough to be able to pull the trigger on some kid with his daddy's harpoon charging at you in the name of their Glorious Leader. They are overloaded with anti-Western propaganda from the moment of their birth - even their nursery rhymes are graphic depictions of Americans getting slaughtered, I kid you not.

Look, you want to support your government against North Korea in case Kimmy does go berserk, holy shit that's awesome. But this isn't the right way. What I was planning on doing (before realizing that I wasn't cut out for politics) was to be there for when there regime falls, politically trained and well versed in the Korean lifestyle so that I could help their citizens re-integrate themselves into the real world. There are plenty of other ways to get involved against North Korea, but of them joining the army is probably the worst way I can think of. Please, do not join as a soldier.

Last edited by Yvlla; 06-22-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #8
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(5533 days)
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Thanks for the concern, Yvl. In all honesty though, this has been a long time coming. I'm not joining up for the sake of fighting North Korea. I've even been looking at non combat roles (such as military musician, I have experience playing reed and brass instruments) and as of yet I'm still undecided where I'll go. Its strange... like I have this feeling in my gut saying this is what I was always meant to do. If someone was getting picked on at school, I would always be that guy who would throw himself between the defenseless one and the gang of 5+ people (and getting beat up for it more than once but there were times I somehow won, too.) It's hard to explain, but at the very least... the VERY LEAST, skipping over vocation and duty and patriotism and all that... I still need a job, so this is killing multiple birds with one stone.

But honestly, everyone, thanks for your support and advice, you too, Yvl, and Luther for the PM you sent me. And besides... keeping in mind, I'm Canadian. We're not active in much at the moment besides Afghanistan (we do have soldiers in Iraq but not with our units; Canadians training with American units were shipped off with their comrades but that's it for our involvement) If anything, I'd likely be involved in peacekeeping operations (which I do realize is no laughing matter. Peacekeepers are forbidden from using force except to defend themselves so if I saw someone about to kill someone else I couldn't save them, which would take a huge emotional toll on someone like me, but at least my life wouldn't be in half as much danger as it would in a proper war.)

But like I said... if I got another job before the army calls me back, I might not join, who knows. The longer I wait the more my resolve shifts. Yesterday I was all gung ho, working out and getting prepared for when boot camp starts, while today I just wanted to relax and try to beat SMT: Digital Devil Saga. Tomorrow I'll likely be sweating up a storm again. Who knows?
Old 06-22-2009   #9
TGLucario475
The Wandering Soul of Idiocy

(5884 days)
Threads: 13
Style: Evening Sky
Mood: Bemused, to say the least.
Time spent on board:
4 day 23 hour 55 min

TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!
TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!TGLucario475 is a star, a bright shining star!
Send a message via AIM to TGLucario475 Send a message via Skype™ to TGLucario475
Good luck and stay safe ^^
Old 07-10-2009   #10
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(5533 days)
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Quote:
Anyways, this is just a heads up. I'll say this first though: If I get a job before the army calls me back I may lose my resolve by then, but as it stands now, I have a feeling like this is just something I need to do, you know?
Starting a part time night shift on the 15th cleaning a movie Theater (and perks involve bags of free popcorn). If it works out I may put off joining the army until I can get those last High School credits I'm missing so the army will pay for my post secondary. I think this way would work out for the best overall. That, and I don't want to wake up at 5 AM for drills on my birthday next month.