Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Main Sector > Coffee House > Music and Entertainment

Notices

Music and Entertainment Discuss music, movies, television, and other forms of entertainment besides videogames here.

Old 12-24-2015   #1
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(6337 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
You can only pick one best song of 2015

Arcane - Unturning

"Reach out my hand I offer peace, please brother, take it we will find release. 'Keep it,' he said, 'I wish the ground beneath your feet would give way, I am the hand that bears the knife's weight!'"

The single best and worst part of this year came from Arcane. They release what's sure to be one of my favorite albums of all time, then break up. The whole album is filled with some of my new favorite songs, but this one stands miles ahead of even them. Cohesive, deep, thought-provoking lyrics, amazing shredding, like, what more can you want in a rock song? This might be my new favorite song EVER, let alone for this year.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015   #2
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(5498 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Let me just start out by saying that 2015 was a fucking great year for rap music. You had Kanye West bounce back from Yeezus with a diss track aimed at detractors that shows why Kanye is the top of his class when he needs to be. Drake, while still being something of a fuck, showed that he can't dance but can put out more arty sounds than the genre is typically known for; there's Kendrick Lamar's fantastic album 'To Pimp A Butterfly' with notable standouts going to the tracks King Kunta and The Blacker the Berry. Missy Elliott dropped a single that feels like she never left, delivering a song that is uniquely her own, the style, flow, and music create a fun, fierce track. Top Dawg Entertainment continued to impress and hang with the great labels like Ruthless and Deathrow and Aftermath with Isaiah Rashad's track Nelly. Tate Kobang had a song with one of my favorite beats of the year. Rap was fucking great this year.

But it's not my choice for best song of the year. Nor is it Sleater-Kinney's fantastic single "A New Wave" off their equally fantastic new album 'No Cities to Love' which is one of my most played songs and albums of the year.

The best song of the year IS a rap song. It is not, however, an English language rap song.

Meet Cheetah. Cheetah is a Korean rapper that, until this year, was relatively obscure in Korea. She was part of a competition show in Korea called 'Unpretty Rapstar' which brought together a group of underground female rappers and had them battle it out for songs on an album and for the top prize. Cheetah stood out early on with her appearance and general attitude, this girl was fierce. Here she is battling two others, including a seventeen year old (Yuk Ji Dam) and a girl in a Korean idol group (Jimin). She handily slaughters the both of them and is doing so by going off the head. Cheetah and Jimin formed a rivalry throughout the series with Cheetah winning one and Jimin winning one. The two of them would go on to compete head to head in the semi finals with the winner going on to advance to the finals.

Jimin brought her idol flare to the battle, with backup dancers, a guest artist, and an admittedly fire beat. (English subs) In one fell swoop she did away with the good girl image she carried for the entire run of the show. You can see Cheetah rolling her eyes, knowing what's coming.

Cheetah took the stage by herself. No backup. No guests. One woman. Her mother was in attendance and you could tell that she knew just what a fucking nuke her daughter was about to drop. What followed was one woman commanding the stage, controlling the emotions of the crowd, and delivering a deeply personal track about a traumatic experience in her life. Cheetah, in 2007, was hit by a bus and had to undergo risky brain surgery that left her in a medically induced coma and ultimately fucked her vocal chords. There wasn't a high chance for survival but Cheetah pulled through and turned her focus from singing to rapping. This song is her memoir of that event, noting her fear, confusion, and triumph as she pulled through and told the devil to kiss her ass. It was a powerful moment of reality and artistry blending. Cheetah went on to win Unpretty Rapstar.

Coma '07 by Cheetah is the best song of the year in my eyes.

English subs

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015   #3
T1000416
Obertausendkämpfer

(6500 days)
Threads: 109
Style: Evening Sky
Mood: I'm pretty comfortable
Time spent on board:
2 week 0 day 9 hour

T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!
T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!T1000416 is a star, a bright shining star!
Send a message via AIM to T1000416
Shadow by Chromatics

While they disappointed by not releasing their new album this year(originally announced for a February release), they did drop quite a few tracks from it along with alternate mixes/versions throughout the year. They were all amazing but Shadow stood out to me the most, and it continues to be played on my nightly drives on repeat.