Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Main Sector > Coffee House > Music and Entertainment

Notices

Music and Entertainment Discuss music, movies, television, and other forms of entertainment besides videogames here.

Old 11-19-2013   #1
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(6337 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Tell us about good albums

Pretty simple, write a brief review of an album you like. Example:

The Empyrean by John Frusciante

The guy that did the guitar for all the good RHCP albums (BSSM - Stadium Arcadium) has a ton of solo stuff as well. This album in particular is his masterpiece, and it's probably the best concept album since The Wall. There's not a song on the album that I don't love at least one part of. While its subject is open to interpretation, it's got something to do with seeing the world through God's eyes. While there is a story to the lyrics, there's also a story to the music. You hear the simple riff introduced in the first track modified, made more complex, more divine, depending on the situation. This can be heard best in the crown jewel of the album, "Unreachable."

Unreachable.

Fucking divine shit.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #2
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(5498 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
The guy that did the guitar for all the good RHCP albums (BSSM - Stadium Arcadium)

We're going to fight. For one thing, Frusciante also did Mother's Milk. For another Freaky Styley is their best album. And finally, Stadium Arcadium was bad. Also no one actually likes One Hot Minute.

The Great Escape by Blur

A lot of people, meaning critics, would say that Parklife is Blur's best album. I disagree. Parklife was their first actual real good album (as far as Britpop goes, anyway) but The Great Escape is, in my eyes, a far better achievement for the band. From the opening song, Stereotypes, there are echoed themes from Parklife's opener 'Girls and Boys', but Stereotypes is both a song about sex and loneliness instead of mindless sex with both genders. Loneliness is a central them in The Great Escape and this theme carries out for most of the album, even into the next song and their first number one single, "Country House". It's a very loose concept album, in that most of the tracks deal with neing lonely or being detached. As an album it is much more personal effort from singer/songwriter Damon Albarn and as a result is probably their most unique outing in terms of song composition and lyrics. On the surface it all sounds like Britpop what with its catchy riffs and earwormy lyrics, but The Great Escape is, for my money, the single best thing to come out of the Britpop boom in the early 90s. Fuck Oasis and their fans. Damon Albarn once said that The Great Escape was one of two bad albums he put out (he said it was "messy", due to creative differences in the band during recording)...but that was obviously before he put out Rocket Juice and The Moon.

The Universal

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic

While Funkadelic's "Uncle Jam Wants You" would be the album that got me into funk music proper, Maggot Brain is the album that defines funk rock to me. Eddie Hazel never gets the recognition he deserves as a guitarist. In one take the title track (and also the opening track) was recorded, including a ten minute solo from Eddie Hazel. The album opens with one of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded and it was brought on by George Clinton telling Hazel to imagine his mother was dead. George Clinton was on a lot of drugs. Probably still is. While I could just suggest the album based on the strength of the song Maggot Brain alone, the rest of the album is no slouch and it showcases the pure talent from Funkadelic and their use of many different styles, from gospel to psychedelic to straight up rock. "Can You Get to That" is a personal favorite song of mine which is up there in quality as far as acoustic-focused songs go. "Super Stupid" is another great song and a greater showcase for Eddie Hazel's talent. The whole album has such quality and variation that is almost a rarity these days. Back in 1971, Rolling Stone magazine opened their review with the line "Who needs this shit?" The answer is me. I do.

The whole god damn album

Treats by Sleigh Bells

Sleigh Bells is a weird band. No, I don't mean that in that quirky way. I mean it literally. They are a weird band. They don't have a live drummer. That kind of weird. Sleigh Bells is two people, Derek E. Miller and Alexis Krauss (whom I will marry one day). Derek is on guitars, Alexis is on vocals. That's the band. A guitarist and a singer. And what they make is some of the best noise pop you're likely to hear because noise pop is a strange genre of music. Imagine something like Sonic Youth but stripping it of the more technical aspects. Just raw sounds and distortions. That's kind of what Sleigh Bells is and I can't quite explain why, but I love this album and by association I love them. Treats is their most consistent album and by far their best. The first song of theirs I heard was "Crown on the Ground" and I thought my speakers were broken. It was loud, it was distorted, it sounded a bit off...and it was fantastic. It's just a cacophony of noise resembling music and lyrics and it's an experience. The worst thing about Sleigh Bells is that I no longer get any hipster cred for liking them since their music is all fucking over the place now.

Bonus: their song Rill Rill samples (and by that I mean totally uses the whole song) "Can You Get to That" by Funkadelic!

Rill Rill
Crown on the Ground
Tell 'Em

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.

Last edited by Don Chipotle; 11-19-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #3
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(6337 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Wanted to rant about this album so I'm reviving this thread for it.

Known/Learned by Arcane

I don't know where the fuck these guys came from, but all of a sudden they put out one of the best prog albums of all time. It's a two part album, so you know at least one part is gonna be good. And indeed, literally every song on the first half is memorable. Even the second part has it's moments, though it's more subdued than the first part.

Promise (Part 2)

See also: Both Keeping Stones and the titular Learned.
Old 01-03-2016   #4
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(6337 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Leprous - Tall Poppy Syndrome

I honestly have no idea if anyone other than me will like this band. They're prog metal, but... their screaming voice is... weird. But I listen to Silver Mt Zion so I'm used to awkward voices, and once you get past the pterodactyl-like screams... holy shit. Every song on this album is great, and I mean fucking great. It's hard to narrow down to just one or two songs that show just how goddamn amazing this album is, because every goddamn song on this album is an 8 or higher. It's probably down between these guys and Rishloo for my favorite ongoing band now that Puscifer has mellowed out too much.

Dare You
White