Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > General Gaming

Notices

General Gaming For the discussion of games from Atari to Zynga.

Old 11-30-2014   #1
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(4578 days)
Threads: 315
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
Saph's First Impressions: Dragon Age: Inquisition

NOBODY EXPECTED THE SAPH-ISH INQUISITION!

Anyways, I've had the game for a little over 24 hours, now. And here's my impressions based on about 5 hours of the main campaign, and enough Multiplayer time to get the first 3 playable characters (Legionaire, Keeper, Archer) to level 10.

First thing I noticed, was the campaign starts you right in the thick of it with more questions than anything. Fortunately, this is justified by no one else having any answers, either. However, after Origins and 2 spent their openings setting up who your character is and giving you a handle on who you're roleplaying as, and generally making you give a shit, Inquisition's rushed intro might make successive playthroughs less tedious, but does have an impact on that first file.

So I started as a mage, levelled up, went to my skill trees, and... WHERE THE FUCK IS MY HEALING SPELL!? OH SHIT! HEALING MAGIC DOESN'T EXIST IN THIS GAME!? Instead, warriors and mages can supplement their own health with temporary enhancements; mages can cast barriers that soak up damage before dissipating, and warriors have a "guard" system where some actions cause your health bar to be layered in armor that needs to be depleted before you can take direct damage. I'm still a little butthurt that potions are the only way to get your health actually healed most of the time, but the temporary health system is a fine alternative and I kind of like it.

Oh, speaking of potions, they use a Dark Souls-esque system. You can carry 8. Replenished at supply crates/ encampments. You can't jut stockpile every consumable you can find/afford.

Balance wise, I like what they've done so far. Warrior damage output is no longer utter garbage compared to everything else, like it was in DA2, and archer damage has been lowered in favor of mobility options (In multiplayer, I kited a boss encounter completly solo when the rest of my team wiped, for example.)

The areas themselves are the biggest change. If you've ever played Kingdoms of Amalur, imagine those areas being explored in Dragon Age, complete with the sidequests and such. Not making this up. I was in the Hinterlands for HOURS before I said "SCREW IT, I WANT TO GO TO ORLAIS, ADVANCING THE STORY!" It takes longer to get back to the world map on a mount (yes, there's mounts) than it did on foot in Orzamar in DAO!

Also worth noting is the War Room. You have three main advisors, each with their own specialties. You may have the option to dispatch Leliana's spy network, for example, or Cullen's soldiers, to help with different scenarios. I'm still not very far, but from the look of it, I get to choose who to handle what scenarios (within reason; Cullen can't handle an Orlesian high society thing, for example, and your Diplomat, a new character, can't handle something needing more forceful tactics) and I look forward to seeing how things can differ. This system has potential, and they better not screw it up by not capitalizing on it!

Multiplayer missions take place in more linar areas. Each mission has 5 "sections" to travel through, each one with it's own mission. Bail the messenger out of trouble because of a demon attack, recover these artifacts, seek and destroy this target, etc. Very simple stuff, and there's only 3 maps, presently. However, Bioware showed with Mass Effect 3 that their multiplayer games do see updates and evolve over time, so I have high hopes for continued replayability.

On the negative... Bioware games tend to be buggy. I've had multiplayer matches where I got no rewards, and I've had to restart my console several times because of stupid single player glitches. Conversations not progressing, my character glitching into a jump animation and not being able to do anything, characters I need to talk to glitching into the floor and being unreachable... yeah.

First impressions: Overall? Fairly positive. Hopeful for good things, but not without reservation.
Old 11-30-2014   #2
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4052 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Here are my impressions after 50-some hours.

HEY SHOULD I MAYBE GO BACK AND DO THE MAIN STORY MISSION-OH SHIT THERE'S A SKULL GUESS I'M GOING SHARD HUNTING AW FUCK THERE'S AN OUTPOST AND SOME LANDSCAPES GUESS I'LL GET THOS-AW FUCK YEAH LOOK CHECK OUT ALL THIS SWEET ELFROOT AND SHIT WAIT IS THAT AN ASTRARIUM IT IS GUESS I'M DOING THAT NOW WAIT WHAT ABOUT SHARDS FUCK IT I'LL DO OH SHIT A DRAGON RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN WAIT FULL INVENTORY GUESS I'LL PORT BACK TO BASE THE WAR TABLE MISSIONS ARE DONE NOW WHY THE FUCK DO THEY PUT MONSTER RESEARCH ITEMS IN THE JUNK SECTION THAT JUST MEANS DOUBLE TRIPS FUCKING WHAT OH HEY I UNLOCKED A NEW AREA LET'S CHECK IT OUT HOW BIG COULD IT BE HEY SHOULD I MAYBE GO BACK AND DO THE MAIN STORY MISSION-OH SHIT THERE'S A SKULL...*ten hours later* HOW AM I LEVEL 15, THE STORY MISSION IS FOR LEVEL 9-11...OHHHH A NEW AREA HEY SHOULD I MAYBE GO BACK AND DO THE MAIN STORY MISSION-OH SHIT THERE'S A SKULL...

It's real easy to get lost in the exploration of the zones. Which I actually quite like. I've forgotten what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing, something in Orlais I think, but hot damn if I'm not exploring fucking everything. If I didn't tell myself to get on with it I'D STILL BE IN THE FUCKING HINTERLANDS. Word of advice: Do the mission 'In Your Heart Shall Burn' before doing heavy exploring. TRUST ME. TRUST MEEEEEEEEE.

Wait why are you going to the world map exits on mounts? You can literally warp to any area from the quest map, like you can go from Hinterlands to Orlais or your base from anywhere at any time unless you're in combat. Also there are other healing options than just potions but since I never play as a healer mage anyway, fuck if I care if healing magic is gone. Fuck white mages.

I disagree with you about the intro. I don't think it was rushed and I think it gets you to give a shit way faster than Origins. I never gave a shit in 2 because 2 is a bad game and FUCK 2. But 3 literally opens up with a fucking nuke going off, the goddamn pope is fucking dead, thousands of people going to a peace summit are now dead, and you're in the middle being all "The FUCK happened?" right before CASSANDRA THE BEST CHARACTER is all "LOOK WHAT YOU DID, HOLY SHIT THE WORLD IS FUCKED YOU FUCKED THE WORLD WHAT THE FUCK" and then it goes from there. There's a clear problem, a clear goal, and since everyone else is all "BUT THE POPE IS DEAD, MUH RELIGION, WHAT DO WE DOOOOOOOOOO?" you and your crew are like "FUCK YOU GUYS, WE'LL HANDLE THIS SHIT, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 4 STYLE. DISAVOWED BY THE CHANTRY BUT FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT"

And obviously it branches off from there but it sets up the initial problem well. Shit's fucked. You're maybe at fault. Join up the only people who give a shit to do something other than sit on their ass and pray. And they're even nice enough to give you a little blurb about your character at creation and then immediately after the tutorial you get to fill in your own gaps as well. Which is to say the intro is much better than "AND THEN A YEAR PASSED WITH HAWKE. WHAT, YOU WANT TO PLAY SHIT IN THAT YEAR? FUCK YOU!"

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #3
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little
I'm here to fertilise some eggs

(5299 days)
Threads: 181
Style: Casual Friday
Mood: Anyone got a gun?
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Can I just say fuck the both of you since I had to wait for the patch as lol nvidia chipset?

Simply put for the day 1 play, I was happy since I could play as a Qunari, rest of the game could be fetch quests for all I care, I got my race.
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #4
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4052 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post

rest of the game could be fetch quests for all I care

Heh. Heh. Ha. Ha. Haahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha hahah

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014   #5
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little
I'm here to fertilise some eggs

(5299 days)
Threads: 181
Style: Casual Friday
Mood: Anyone got a gun?
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don't you even, effectively I have spent $210 on a glorified paperweight at the moment, as 20 days after purchase I'm still unable to play it beyond 10mins at a time.

So yeah, I would settle for anything longer than 10 fucking minutes of gameplay before it crashes for no goddamn reason because the PC port of the game is a broken piece of shit.
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014   #6
Altima
Major Motoko Kusanagi

(4900 days)
Threads: 1532
Style: Smoke
Mood: I have no emotions
Time spent on board:
1 week 6 day 15 hour

Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via MSN to Altima
I cant wait to play the game myself, I have it here. I am unsure of what raced to be. Being a Qunari would be cool, but I would be so damn ugly, and never get any ladies
Old 01-13-2015   #7
Altima
Major Motoko Kusanagi

(4900 days)
Threads: 1532
Style: Smoke
Mood: I have no emotions
Time spent on board:
1 week 6 day 15 hour

Send a message via MSN to Altima
Bumping this to ask if anyone had any problems importing their save data?

It found my achievements for Dragon Age Origins, but not my actual save data, so I had to try, and fill in the blanks the best I could for my story as I could remember it, and im sure I made a mistake somewhere.

It found my achievements, and Data for Dragon Age 2 tho, so all the choices they already have selected at DragonAgeKeep should be correct as I made them.

I may load up my save data for Origins, and see if I forgot to do something.

I also didn't do the DLC for Dragon Age 2 as it was a boring game, and I didn't feel like doing it, so the choices they have for it, I just left the same as they had them.