Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Other > Suggestions

Notices

Suggestions Post any suggestions for fourms, options, etc you have here. All suggestions will be reviewed, so if you think of something you'd like to see, by all means post it!

Old 06-05-2008   #11
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Liverwort Tens
Our Sweet Prince

(4885 days)
Threads: 1765
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Liverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Liverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Liverwort Tens Send a message via MSN to Liverwort Tens Send a message via Yahoo to Liverwort Tens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
5) One acronym: LotGD.
Another thing he said he would fix ages ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
Don't say that. He does care more than you think.
Apparently not enough to actually put effort into it more than once every few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Hardin View Post
Lades works really hard to keep this place in check and do whatever else it is he has to do. Sure, he can be lazy but I really don't believe he's going to let us all down...Just because he can't be bothered to do something.
He does what he can and the other stuff...He'll sort when he gets the chance. I'm sure.
But he's clearly busy...And would you honestly want to spend all day working, studying or just being busy...To come home and do more work?
No.
You wouldn't.
From what I understand, Lades isn't that busy, since he has no job and is out of school by now. And I for one have offered to help him and found hacks and such for him, only for him to not follow through with implementing it. At the very least, though, he could post more or read threads some people have spent alot of time working on.

Or appoint a new admin that is willing to work on the site when Lades isnt feeling up to it and Lathan is inactive.
Liverwort Tens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #12
Site Owner and God-Admin
Lancet Jades
The Epochal Avatar

(5335 days)
Threads: 1785
Style: Evening Sky
Mood: Who did the what now?
Time spent on board:
1 year 2 month 2 week 4 day

Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Lancet Jades Send a message via MSN to Lancet Jades Send a message via Yahoo to Lancet Jades
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima View Post
#1 Make a homepage of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
It's not really him deciding not to put something there or being too busy, but being too lazy to help his own site.
First of all, let me clear some things up regarding a homepage.

The homepage originally disappeared because when I upgraded to vB3.5 from 3.0, I couldn't find a compatible version, and some vB homepage hack aside, I have NO idea what to use as a homepage in any way.

For all the bitching and complaining people do about the homepage, NO ONE HAS SUGGESTED IDEAS FOR WHAT CONTENT IT COULD HAVE. Even you, Yvl, only found the new hack for it after I told you the specific name of it (vba cmps). This isn't me being lazy, this is me not knowing what to use as the homepage, and no one really suggesting anything beyond "Well, make a homepage dood!"

Quote:
#2 Create completely custom skins, with custom buttons for each, and custom rep icon and report post icon below out names in each post if that can be done. A custom lock for each skin would be nice too just to make each unigue and truly one of a kind. Just more of them is never bad either if it can easily be done.
These are not easy to do, especially if you mean the graphically-heavy ones a lot of sites have. Moreover, they require such extreme modifications to the site's HTML that I'd basically have to rewrite it personally for most templates for EACH "custom" style.

As if that wasn't enough, I'd also have to do about 5x as much work with installing hacks because I'd have to alter the templates for EACH AND EVERY SINGLE "CUSTOM" STYLE WE HAVE. I can't just make one edit and that's it, and believe me, I've made a shitload of alterations to EF's to make it look better. It's bad enough having to redo them everytime I upgrade to a new version and have to revert all the templates.

Quote:
#3 Promise new members some crap like free rep for bringing other members here or for making so many posts in their first month of being here.
Well, there isn't really that much we can promise. Most of that stuff is only of any worth once someone has joined, so it won't help in attracting new members, only possibly keeping others here a bit longer.

Quote:
#4 Make our own one if a kind arcade games, im not sure if anyone can do that here tho.
I certainly don't have the skill or knowledge to do ANYTHING like this. If anyone here does, I'd be happy to point them to the site that they can find out how to rig it so the arcade records scores and crap.

Quote:
#5 Make our own MMO type game like Kings of Chaos that I used to play back in the day but of course that may prove difficult.
Not sure exactly what you mean. You mean an MMO-esque text RP? Or actually program some basic MMO type game for EF? The former is not my area of expertise (although it is for some of our members, most notably YVL), and the latter I'd have no chance of being able to do, for reasons exceeding the arcade game idea.

Quote:
#6 Make a game like RPG inferno that is exclusive to our site.
I may as well just reinstall LotGD, which I was planning on doing this summer. I much prefer it to RPG Inferno, mainly because it doesn't seem as tacked-on.

Quote:
From what I understand, Lades isn't that busy, since he has no job and is out of school by now. And I for one have offered to help him and found hacks and such for him, only for him to not follow through with implementing it. At the very least, though, he could post more or read threads some people have spent alot of time working on.
No, I'm not that busy, but I don't think you appreciate how hard some things are from the admin standpoint. A lot of the time, hacks don't work quite right, or at all, for reasons I don't know. Sometimes they deface the site and ruin the looks because they don't synchronize themselves fully, and I have to edit them personally to bring them up to par (things like that "Top 5 stats" at the bottom of the homepage, it looks fucking ugly in recent versions). Some require such extreme measures (like technical crap I usually have to teach myself JUST for that hack) to install that it puts me off.

Others I have to lash together from 2-3 different hacks that have PART of what I want, but not all. Prime examples of this are thread description and multiquote. Both I wrought from 3 different hacks, each of which was, on their own, extremely crappy and nowhere near what I wanted. Each took FAR longer than it should have, and I had to add in a lot of my own influence to the result to make it look as presentable and integrated as it is. Multiquote and Thread Desc. took longer to install than the arcade did.

And even then, some hacks NEVER operate how I exactly want them to. The Quotebox STILL doesn't work 100%, even after all the crap Nick and I edited regarding its appearence. Specifically, it doesn't line break when on the main page, a problem even the coder of the quotebox can't solve (since apparently it should).

Quote:
We have our LPs right now that are a hell of alot better than any other LPs out there. But it used to be that even the admin would participate in nearly all of the humorous events on the site, like practically weekly IM convos. Cruentus Lami joined eagerly based on what I showed him from that time, now there's just nothing here for any new members.

tl;dr: Lades needs to start caring about his damn site.
I do contribute. Sure, I may not produce the quantity of material I used to, but I'm still here and contributing. I've explianed, I DO NOT CARE for LPs personally. I wouldn't want to do one, and I don't particularly care for reading them. I'm certainly not gonna force myself to read them and maybe even post, though.

And speaking of that, why aren't other people stepping up to the plate? A LOT of the material from the past few years seems to have involved me in a large (if not primary) capacity, so why don't other people post IM convos more, make more and better ag/spammyland threads, and so on?

Quote:
Or appoint a new admin that is willing to work on the site when Lades isnt feeling up to it and Lathan is inactive.
Who? You? Hell no, unless I'm badly mistaken, you don't know that kind of thing anywhere near how well I do. I don't think anyone here does. The only exception is Nick, and he IS busy himself a lot more than me.

So let me give YOU a tl;dr. I don't think you appreciate how much utter SHIT I endure when installing hacks and other crap for this site. For you, hacks are just a matter of "lades being un-lazy long enough to install the damn thing." But for me, it's a matter of "WHY THE FUCK DOES IT GIVE THIS FUCKING ERROR. I FIXED IT, WHAT NOW. WHAT THE FUCK NOW," repeat ad nauseum. I'm wary of new hacks because of how fucking much editing and customization (that I'll have to figure out and do ALL myself, btw) they require to make presentable on EF and not stick out like a sore thumb.

If you REALLY want to try walking a mile in my shoes, I'll set up a dummy forum for you to try installing hacks on (and then synch them so they look good in contrast to the basic forum), and see how long it takes for you to cry uncle over shit just not fucking working right.
Old 06-05-2008   #13
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Liverwort Tens
Our Sweet Prince

(4885 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Liverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Liverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanityLiverwort Tens is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Liverwort Tens Send a message via MSN to Liverwort Tens Send a message via Yahoo to Liverwort Tens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet Jades View Post
For all the bitching and complaining people do about the homepage, NO ONE HAS SUGGESTED IDEAS FOR WHAT CONTENT IT COULD HAVE. Even you, Yvl, only found the new hack for it after I told you the specific name of it (vba cmps). This isn't me being lazy, this is me not knowing what to use as the homepage, and no one really suggesting anything beyond "Well, make a homepage dood!"
If that's what you needed, why didn't you ask? I had assumed you had some idea what to put on it.
Quote:
I do contribute. Sure, I may not produce the quantity of material I used to, but I'm still here and contributing.
I've told you how to increase your quality back to where it once was and then some, you didn't seem too keen on the idea though.

Quote:
I've explianed, I DO NOT CARE for LPs personally. I wouldn't want to do one, and I don't particularly care for reading them.
That I wasn't aware of.

Quote:
Who? You? Hell no, unless I'm badly mistaken, you don't know that kind of thing anywhere near how well I do. I don't think anyone here does. The only exception is Nick, and he IS busy himself a lot more than me.
I wasn't suggesting it should be me for that reason exactly (not to mention that I have bad luck with programming in general). I was hoping there was someone that I didn't know of with coding skills.

Quote:
If you REALLY want to try walking a mile in my shoes, I'll set up a dummy forum for you to try installing hacks on (and then synch them so they look good in contrast to the basic forum), and see how long it takes for you to cry uncle over shit just not fucking working right.
In all honesty, I am kinda curious about just how bad this really is, if it's not too much trouble.
Old 06-05-2008   #14
Site Owner and God-Admin
Lancet Jades
The Epochal Avatar

(5335 days)
Time spent on board:

Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Lancet Jades Send a message via MSN to Lancet Jades Send a message via Yahoo to Lancet Jades
Quote:
If that's what you needed, why didn't you ask? I had assumed you had some idea what to put on it.
I had assumed people wouldn't be so shortsighted and petty as to assume the ONLY thing stopping us from having a good homepage is my own laziness. And even the vBa CMPS thing you found for me will likely be a full day's project.

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting it should be me for that reason exactly (not to mention that I have bad luck with programming in general). I was hoping there was someone that I didn't know of with coding skills.
Nick is the only one I can think of, and he's much busier than me, and has been out of practice for a while.

Quote:
In all honesty, I am kinda curious about just how bad this really is, if it's not too much trouble.
Actually it wouldn't be, beyond uploading everything. Fresh vB installation is one of the easiest things, sadly.

And while we're here, let's clear up some of the misinformation surrounding this legendary "laziness" I apparently have. Yes, I'm a lazy person, but here's some of the other reasons I apparently don't do "enough" from an admin angle for EF:

-Switching to a new server. A big one. Do you, or anyone else here (Nick aside) know how much fucking work and effort is involved? It takes a shitload of time, to download and re-upload all the files from the old server to new server. Gotta export then import the database, the importing being it's own right clusterfuck. I have to cancel the old account, find a new server that meets EF's particular needs as well as mine (money-wise and from an admin standpoint). I have to get everything working on the forum at the new server, which involves a shitload of editing various file paths and crap. And moving the domain name registration is it's own clusterfuck too.

Add on top of that, SOMETHING ALWAYS FUCKING GOES WRONG EVERY FUCKING TIME. And not just one thing, loads of shit goes wrong. Often little things, but it adds up. Plus I have to run all sorts of updates and other crap that takes a couple hours itself, as well as re-point the domain name to the new verse (seperate from domain reg) which is hell to figure out how to get to.

And if that wasn't enough, both of my experiences were NOT pleasant. The first time it took a grand total of three fucking DAYS (maybe four, but I was about to collapse by then) to move, because my first host cut our service for a BS reason, so I had to do EVERYTHING as fast as possible. At that point, I had only dial-up, so I had to get other EF members (Deity and Raist specifically, maybe others) to download then upload files for me.

The second time (the recent one), I had to move from a server that had all sorts of control panel options regarding the site hand-fed to me, to one that I had to get much more technical for (hard to explain clearly). I didn't realize this, and spent the next week working on gettign things up to speed regarding FTP crap.

And even after the server move, I had to work on getting other hacks up to speed, such as photoplog, without the coders even helping for the most part! Stuff I had NO IDEA how to do before I did it, I had to randomly try stuff until it worked. If you want a play-by-play account of it sort of, look here: http://www.evermoreforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=9845

I've spent hours on the phone with tech support to fix various crap too, not to mention every expense related to EF has been out of my own pocket (I've received one donation of $20 once a while ago, that's it).

I know I said let's go over several things, not just the server transfer, but I think that's enough for now.
Old 06-05-2008   #15
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Liverwort Tens
Our Sweet Prince

(4885 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

I actually can imagine how hard changing servers would be, and I only was nagging you about it because EF was seriously losing its appeal in terms of features, making it damn difficult to invite anyone (a problem we seem to still have.)

Quote:
Nick is the only one I can think of, and he's much busier than me, and has been out of practice for a while.
And nobody else knows someone?

Quote:
I've spent hours on the phone with tech support to fix various crap too, not to mention every expense related to EF has been out of my own pocket (I've received one donation of $20 once a while ago, that's it).
Invite richer members?
Old 06-05-2008   #16
Miles
Ewigkämpfer

(5184 days)
Threads: 578
Style: Event Horizon
Time spent on board:
5 month 2 week 1 day

Miles is on the border of good and evil
I feel like a hobo now...
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #17
Bloozilla
Starkluftwaffe

(5346 days)
Threads: 220
Style: Blue Hatch
Time spent on board:
1 year 0 month 2 week 3 day

Bloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leader
Bloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leaderBloozilla is a grand leader
Quote:
I actually can imagine how hard changing servers would be, and I only was nagging you about it because EF was seriously losing its appeal in terms of features, making it damn difficult to invite anyone (a problem we seem to still have.)

And nobody else knows someone?

Invite richer members?
Easier said than done. If YOU know people, why don't YOU invite them? Why don't YOU know any coders or any "rich people," as you put it? And furthermore, the dilemma is caused by people not staying, what makes you think, if we invite "rich people" and coders, that they will stay?
Bloozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #18
Setzophone
Are ya alright?

(5141 days)
Threads: 290
Mood: Tired
Time spent on board:
2 month 1 week 5 day

Setzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Setzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Setzophone Send a message via MSN to Setzophone Send a message via Skype™ to Setzophone
Quote:
Could you set up a paypal donations button or something? I mean, I could totally donate some like that. I'm not rich, but I'd like to help out some.
Old 06-05-2008   #19
Site Owner and God-Admin
Lancet Jades
The Epochal Avatar

(5335 days)
Time spent on board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfray Humedingor View Post
Could you set up a paypal donations button or something? I mean, I could totally donate some like that. I'm not rich, but I'd like to help out some.
We have one. Click that Donate link on the navbar.

Quote:
So, your solution is to nag me into doing loads of work (while you normal members don't have any to really do), and call me lazy and that I don't care much about the site anymore.

If you (and others) want to improve EF so much, I expect everyone to pitch in to boost activity and generate content (for stuff like homepages and such), not just nag me about it and call me lazy.
Old 06-05-2008   #20
Setzophone
Are ya alright?

(5141 days)
Threads: 290
Mood: Tired
Time spent on board:
2 month 1 week 5 day

Setzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Setzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanitySetzophone is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Setzophone Send a message via MSN to Setzophone Send a message via Skype™ to Setzophone
Holy... I... totally didn't see that there before. o_o;