Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Other > Ask the Staff

Notices

Ask the Staff If you have any questions for the staff, ask us here.

View Poll Results: Raise the signature limit from 200KB to 400KB?
Yay 5 71.43%
Nay 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2007   #1
Nickelback
I N D E S T R U C T I B L E

(4784 days)
Threads: 213
Style: Smoke
Mood: Ima kick ass.
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 0 day

Nickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Nickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Petition for raising the sig limit filesize

Now this is not about the dimensions which are certainly reasonable enough, but for the filesize limit, where all the images combined in your sig cannot total or equal over 200KB in size.

I'm petitioning for an increase in this size, doubling it to 400KB.

Now, I had talked to Johnny beforehand about this, and his reasoning against it was to keep compatability for dialup users.

Personally, I don't see a need for websites to carry that need anymore, as I browse daily MANY more image intensive sites than Evermore, although the only other (correct me if I'm wrong) 56k user, Andor, may disagree. Also, it (my request) may kill off any interest in other 56k users might have in the forums.

If you're going to post, please vote as well. The poll is open for 3 days.

Old 06-29-2007   #2
Pinkie Pie
Rum Raisin~

(5355 days)
Threads: 259
Style: Girl Power
Time spent on board:
2 month 2 week 2 day

Pinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Pinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via Skype™ to Pinkie Pie
I wouldn't mind seeing the increase at all, as it leaves a lot more freedom for crafting sigs and such.

Admittedly, it's been a very long time since I've used dial-up, so I think I've lost the idea of how long that thing takes to load things.

Meh, I voted yes, because I honestly would like to see it happen, though if enough 56k members voice their dissent, then it's not worth it.

I'm actually kind of wishing I could just remove my vote now, since really this should be decided by the 56k members when I think about it.
Old 06-29-2007   #3
Site Owner and God-Admin
Lancet Jades
The Epochal Avatar

(5400 days)
Threads: 1785
Style: Evening Sky
Mood: Who did the what now?
Time spent on board:
1 year 2 month 2 week 4 day

Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Lancet Jades Send a message via MSN to Lancet Jades Send a message via Yahoo to Lancet Jades
I was a dial-up user (56k, I think, though based on Smash's speeds I really dont think it was nearly THAT fast...), which is one reason I set the sigs to this size anyways. I used to really have trouble browsing EF after clearing my cache because it had to re-load everything.

Now, that was in the days before EF had any official sig regulation, but nonetheless it showed me we have to have some reasonable limit that isn't gonna screw over all users of one type of internet connection (especially considering some people either can't afford more, or for whatever reason can't get a better connection in their area).

Besides, the current limits are far more lenient, and far larger, than a lot of sites out there, and I've personally promised not to reduce the limits any further, barring some calamity (such as needing to for bandwidth or some other such BS reason that won't ever happen)
Old 06-29-2007   #4
Dave
Banned

(5091 days)
Threads: 53
Style: Evening Sky
Mood: Fuck you
Time spent on board:
1 week 0 day 2 hour

Dave is a star, a bright shining star!Dave is a star, a bright shining star!Dave is a star, a bright shining star!
Dave is a star, a bright shining star!Dave is a star, a bright shining star!Dave is a star, a bright shining star!Dave is a star, a bright shining star!Dave is a star, a bright shining star!Dave is a star, a bright shining star!Dave is a star, a bright shining star!Dave is a star, a bright shining star!Dave is a star, a bright shining star!
Send a message via AIM to Dave
No. I don't want those massive, hoggish sigs that you guys used to have and plagued Gaming Chaos for a while. You don't need a fucking wallpaper down there.
Old 06-29-2007   #5
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(4637 days)
Threads: 315
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
I never came to EF in my dial up days, but I was at Gamewinners.com back in their text sig only "ascii is teh coolness" days (I made several ascii sigs myself). Between Dial Up, and my 1997 Compaq Presario 2200 with Windows 95 and 1.5 GB total hard drive space, it often took 10+ minutes to initially log in, but it was often fine once I was on. Besides, most people with dial up make up for it somewhat by having a good computer.

However, there IS a way to test it. Personally, I have my options set to 40 posts per page, for example. If we make several files ov exactly 400 kb, post them all in one page, and have anyone who's concerned about the speed browse that page, we should be able to tell.

Personally, I'm just glad the limit isn't 25 kb like at GW >_<
Old 06-29-2007   #6
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(4950 days)
Threads: 1765
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
No. I don't want those massive, hoggish sigs that you guys used to have and plagued Gaming Chaos for a while. You don't need a fucking wallpaper down there.
That's not what's being voted on, but the actual filesize (for more detailed sigs, or moving sigs, or something like that.)

I dont care either way, so it sounds good.
Old 06-29-2007   #7
Nickelback
I N D E S T R U C T I B L E

(4784 days)
Threads: 213
Style: Smoke
Mood: Ima kick ass.
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 0 day

Nickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Nickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanity
http://www.evermoreforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=21962

Closed Thread