Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Main Sector > Coffee House > Music and Entertainment

Notices

Music and Entertainment Discuss music, movies, television, and other forms of entertainment besides videogames here.
Thread Description: Cancellation impending

Old 10-07-2011   #1
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5852 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Fox Threatens Simpsons Cast

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Pay-Cut-or-Die
Quote:
Fox can't support a 23rd season without paying the cast 45 percent less.

Even my ten year old self didn't think The Simpsons was going to be around for more than two decades. Heck, I thought the Christmas special was funny and all but I firmly believed that America wasn't ready for a prime time cartoon. Like the rest, I was dead wrong. Even though the quality hasn't been at its mid-90s level for a while, The Simpsons remains a pinnacle of American satire that's been aped by everyone from Mike Judge to South Park to Seth MacFarlane. Unfortunately, the series' ratings can no longer support paying the six main cast members who voice the majority of the characters on the show their $8 million annual salary. Unless they each accept a pay cut, Fox executives would be forced to cancel the show even though such a drastic move would be bad for all parties involved.

"23 seasons in, The Simpsons is as creatively vibrant as ever and beloved by millions around the world," Fox said in a statement yesterday. "We believe this brilliant series can and should continue, but we cannot produce future seasons under its current financial model. We are hopeful that we can reach an agreement with the voice cast that allows The Simpsons to go on entertaining audiences with original episodes for many years to come."

Dan Castellaneta (Homer, Grampa Simpson, Krusty the Clown, and others), Julie Kavner (Marge and others), Nancy Cartwright (Bart and others), Yeardley Smith (Lisa), Hank Azaria (Moe Szyslak, Chief Wiggum and Apu Nahasapeemapetilon), and Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns, Principal Skinner, Ned Flanders, and others) earn their salaries for providing the voices for the 22 episodes each year, but they claim that Fox makes billions of dollars from syndication and merchandising.

The cast wonders why the paycut is necessary and have offered a counter-proposal to take a 30 percent paycut in exchange for a portion of the profits from syndication. "The show has made billions in profits over the years and will continue to do so as far as the eye can see down the road," said "an insider" from the negotiations as reported by the The Daily Beast. "The actors are willing to take a pay cut of roughly a third, but that's not good enough for Fox."

When contract negotiations plague a 23rd season of a cartoon, no one wins. Perhaps it's time to let the series end.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...ts-With-Actors
Quote:
The cast of The Simpsons is willing to take a pay cut for part of the profits from the show, but Fox doesn't want to share.

Earlier this week, it was revealed that Fox is in the midst of tense contract negotiations with the cast of The Simpsons. So tense, in fact, that the animated series may not be long for this world, unless the cast members agreed to a 45% paycut. The cast members have all stated that they'd be willing to take a smaller - though still significant - paycut in exchange for a share of the show's (massive) profits. It turns out that Fox isn't willing to play this kind of ball.

According to Harry Shearer (known to fans as Mr. Burns, Principal Skinner, Ned Flanders, and several other characters), Fox's logic for the proposed pay cuts hasn't been explained satisfactorily, and the company simply will not allow the actors to share in the profits:

Quote:
Fox wants to cut our salaries in half because it says it can't afford to continue making the show under what it calls the existing business model. Fox hasn't explained what kind of new business model it has formulated to keep the show on the air, but clearly the less money they have to pay us in salary, the more they're able to afford to continue broadcasting the show. And to this I say, fine - if pay cuts are what it will take to keep the show on the air, then cut my pay. In fact, to make it as easy as possible for Fox to keep new episodes of The Simpsons coming, I'm willing to let them cut my salary not just 45% but more than 70% - down to half of what they said they would be willing to pay us. All I would ask in return is that I be allowed a small share of the eventual profits.

My representatives broached this idea to Fox yesterday, asking the network how low a salary number I would have to accept to make a profit participation feasible. My representatives were told there was no such number. There were, the Fox people said, simply no circumstances under which the network would consider allowing me or any of the actors to share in the show's success.
Shearer's comments are pretty damning, and it's hard not to find one siding with the cast in this argument. As of right now, Fox certainly looks like it's led by a bunch of greedy, heartless bastards. If the network is really this ruthless towards those who make it tons of money, can you imagine how awful it's been to folks like Joss Whedon?
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #2
Kurbee
Dur Almightah

(6099 days)
Threads: 476
Style: Smoke
Mood: Pink
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 2 day

Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Kurbee Send a message via MSN to Kurbee Send a message via Yahoo to Kurbee
Good. Make this show fucking stop.
Kurbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #3
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little
I'm here to fertilise some eggs

(6260 days)
Threads: 181
Style: Casual Friday
Mood: Anyone got a gun?
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbee View Post
Good. Make this show fucking stop.
I agree with these sentiments, added to the fact that they should also be denied re-runs having used up their allotment over the past 20 FUCKING YEARS.

I move that out of print 80's - early 90's serials replace the vacant timeslot.

Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #4
Administrator Overlord
Zelphiel
恐がる

(6305 days)
Threads: 1285
Style: Darkfire
Mood: O.o;;
Time spent on board:
1 month 1 week 6 day

Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...
Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...
Send a message via AIM to Zelphiel Send a message via Yahoo to Zelphiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post

I move that out of print 80's - early 90's serials replace the vacant timeslot.

so that's why I'm in your fanclub... I knew it had to be something.

anyway... the main cast already makes 400K per episode. even if they're cut down to half of that most of them have several other voice acting jobs on their plate. and in the case of Dan Castellaneta... he appears in lots of other shows from time to time... even if it is only a one-shot role or something (or the robot devil ). Its not like any of those people are hurting for money or work. They've been getting millions a year for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist
Which is weird, because I'm not sure there's a single episode of Futurama that I'm not totally in love with.
even if we rub the engine with cheetah blood!?
Old 10-08-2011   #5
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(5013 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
As much as Fox is being bastards as usual, I am in the camp of "This show needs to end, it hasn't been funny since, like, the 12th season". At this point, The Simpsons is drilling for oil in a tapped well. It should've ended with the movie. I watched the most recent episode and the actors just sound so lifeless now. Take the show out back and put a bullet in its face. And thrn another one for good measure.

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #6
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(5538 days)
Threads: 315
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
It should've ended with the movie.
IIRC, that was sort of their original plan - announce the movie with only 2 seasons left, and release it when the show was done. Of course, they decided to keep going.
Old 10-08-2011   #7
Miles
Ewigkämpfer

(6151 days)
Threads: 578
Style: Event Horizon
Time spent on board:
5 month 2 week 1 day

Miles is on the border of good and evil
The only good thing about the Movie was Tom Hanks.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #8
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(5013 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
OH HELLO THERE, I SEE YOU ARE WONDERING ABOUT THE SAMPSONS

Quote:
"FOX ORDERS DOUBLE D’OHS OF “THE SIMPSONS”
Longest Running Scripted Series on Television is Renewed Through Season 25

FOX has renewed THE SIMPSONS, the longest-running comedy in television history, for an incredible 24th and 25th season, bringing the series total to an astonishing 559 episodes. THE SIMPSONS airs Sundays (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

In the words of Homer Simpson, "Woo Hoo! I outlasted Andy Rooney!"

The longest-running scripted show in television history, THE SIMPSONS exploded into a cultural phenomenon in 1990 and has remained one of the most groundbreaking and innovative entertainment franchises, recognizable throughout the world. Matt Groening created the iconic family: Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie. In February 2012, THE SIMPSONS will celebrate its historic 500th episode. The series has won 27 Emmy Awards, been the subject of a hit feature film, created “Krustyland” and a revolutionary virtual coaster – The Simpsons Ride – at Universal Studios, received a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame, been honored with five U.S. postal stamps personally designed by Matt Groening, and named the “Best Show of the 20th Century” by Time Magazine.

Following the MLB American League Championship Series and World Series games on FOX, THE SIMPSONS returns with all-new episodes beginning with “Treehouse of Horrors XXII,” on Sunday, Oct. 30 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT). In the spooky opener, Homer takes a dangerous dive into an isolated canyon on Candy Peak, but when a crashing boulder traps his arm, he channels Aron Ralston (guest voicing as himself) to save himself. In “The Diving Bell and Butterball,” the first of three hair-raising Halloween tales, a venomous spider bite leaves Homer paralyzed, but when Lisa discovers Homer’s ability to communicate through natural gases, he is able to express his love for Marge. The killer spells continue in “Dial D for Diddly,” when Ned Flanders, devout preacher by day, transforms into a cold-blooded vigilante by night. In the final terrifying tale, “In the Na’Vi,” Bart and Milhouse are assigned on a mission to access a sacred extract on a distant planet. They morph into the land’s indigenous one-eyed avatars, but when Bart finds love and an eternal mate abroad, he is caught in planet warfare.

THE SIMPSONS is a Gracie Films Production in association with 20th Century Fox Television. James L. Brooks, Matt Groening and Al Jean are the executive producers. Film Roman, a Starz Media Company, is the animation house.

Visit THE SIMPSONS website at www.TheSimpsons.com. Become a fan of the series on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesimpsons and follow Homer Simpson @HomerJSimpson."
GOD DAMMIT THEY ARE GOING TO SQUEEZE EVERY BIT OF BLOOD OUT OF THIS DEAD HORSE.

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #9
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5852 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
You know, at this point, their legacy is already pretty much destroyed. May as well keep going and see howow they can sink.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #10
Blue Dragoon
Ol' Yeller

(5761 days)
Threads: 17
Style: Smoke
Time spent on board:
1 day 23 hour 32 min

Blue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie person
Blue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie personBlue Dragoon is an evil, evil meanie person
Send a message via AIM to Blue Dragoon
I don't know why you guys are all hating on The Simpsons.. Is it because it's not that "anime garbage" that you guys are into? The Simpsons are obviously trying to make sure no show ever breaks their record for most episodes/seasons. The Simpsons is a good show, and still clever. Can any of you do that for 24 years? I didn't think so. So before you newfags start trollin' The Simpsons, why don't you try and do something The Simpsons has done.
Blue Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote