Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News For discussing news and information about gaming.

Old 08-23-2011   #1
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(6076 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Xbox Owner Sues Microsoft for $500 Billion (Yes, Billion)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...on-Yes-Billion
Quote:
An Xbox 360 owner is using a contractual technicality in the Xbox Live terms and conditions to press a legal claim that Microsoft owes him $500 billion.

David Stebbins of Arkansas reckons that Microsoft owes him a half-trillion dollars - take a moment to let that sink in if you need - and here's how he came to that rather remarkable conclusion. As an Xbox Live user, Stebbins entered into a contract that was binding upon both him and Microsoft, which gave him the idea to "unilaterally amend the terms of service." He submitted a notice of his amendments to Microsoft, giving the company ten days to either accept the new terms or terminate his service. Microsoft neither responded nor terminated his subscription, which he argues means that the company accepted the new contract by default.

A couple of weeks later, on May 18, he contacted Microsoft again, this time with an offer to arbitrate a legal dispute in which he claimed $500 billion in damages. The invitation also carried a "forfeit victory clause" stating that Stebbins would win the case by default if Microsoft failed to respond within 24 hours.

"As you probably guessed, the Defendants did not accept the invitation to arbitrate within 24 hours of receiving it," Stebbins wrote in a legal motion filed in a Seattle federal court. "Therefore, I automatically won on May 19, 2011, per the forfeit victory clause."

Stebbins does make the interesting point that he's merely using the same tactics that large companies often employ with their customers, changing the terms of the user agreement and taking the continued use of its service as acknowledgment of and agreement with the updated contract.

"I see a lot of friends and family who get pushed around and walked on, who have causes of action against them, but they choose not to pursue those causes of action. Lots of people are victims of torts... few of them actually sue over them, but that doesn't mean they can't," he told seattlepi.com. "I, on the other hand, will not let people push me around, just because I've already filed a bunch of claims, already."

It sounds not-entirely-insane, until you get to the part where Stebbins explains in his motion that he won't be offering anything to the court in paper because "to do so would put an undue strain on my printer." Instead, he created a YouTube channel with screenshots of the changes he made to the Xbox T&C and the invitation to arbitration he emailed to Microsoft. The channel, sadly, has since been taken down.

It's also far from Stebbins' only lawsuit; he's filed more than a dozen within the past year, including similar far-fetched attempts at contract arbitration and claims of hiring discrimination because of his Asperger's Syndrome.

Stebbins also made it clear that he didn't go out of his way to make sure his complaints showed up on Microsoft's radar. "When I mail these documents to Microsoft, they won't go to any legal division; I arranged for the mailings to be picked up by the employee that just collects regular mail!" he said. "It's quite possible that these employees won't understand the legal significance of these documents, and know that they're required to respond."

It's an interesting turn-about on the way companies manipulate user contracts as they see fit but I'm not sure how it's going to hold up as a legal strategy and Stebbins' willingness to admit that he's jerking the system around may have been meant ironically but it still drains any sympathy I may have had for his quixotic ploy. Making a point is fine, but there's no need to be a dick about it.

Microsoft has not yet commented on the matter.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #2
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(5237 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Microsoft is too busy laughing at this dude.

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #3
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(5762 days)
Threads: 315
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
At first I thought he was bonkers, but now I see that it's a shot at big industries, like "Yeah, how do you like it, your own tricks." I know it won't get anywhere but it'll be funny if people start changing just so they're not like him.
Old 08-23-2011   #4
Kurbee
Dur Almightah

(6323 days)
Threads: 476
Style: Smoke
Mood: Pink
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 2 day

Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Kurbee Send a message via MSN to Kurbee Send a message via Yahoo to Kurbee
lol @ this dude. I can see courts being like "Lol go the fuck home."
Kurbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #5
Seraph Zero
Starkfeldherr

(6266 days)
Threads: 19
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Introspective
Time spent on board:
1 week 2 day 21 hour

Seraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to all
Seraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Seraph Zero Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph Zero
Fuck it, if I had the patience for this kind of tomfoolery, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Yeah, he won't get anywhere, but he's making a point, and (I can almost guarantee) having a hell of a great time doing it.

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Seraph Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #6
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little
I'm here to fertilise some eggs

(6484 days)
Threads: 181
Style: Casual Friday
Mood: Anyone got a gun?
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
More power to him, hope e gets the money and multibillion $ monopolies get a smack to the face that if they continue trying to extort consumers using jargon then they'll inevitably end with some of them sending it right back and fucking them over.

Loop holes only help hookers Microsoft.

Of course, 500bil is entirely laughable and he's a dumbarse for being excessive, but still, point is a nice one to make.
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #7
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(6076 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
If you're gonna try for something like this, you may as well go fucking big. I see nothing wrong with the price.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #8
Irving1992
Katon! Goukakyuu No Justu!

(5162 days)
Threads: 127
Style: Darkfire
Mood: Peaks and Valleys
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 4 day

Irving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimen
Irving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimen
Send a message via AIM to Irving1992 Send a message via Yahoo to Irving1992
Why make trillions when we can make...

billions?

Irving1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #9
RazorandBlade
Tis' but a scratch!

(5135 days)
Threads: 32
Style: Ocean Shoals
Mood: Tired.
Time spent on board:
3 day 6 hour 38 min

RazorandBlade is a star, a bright shining star!RazorandBlade is a star, a bright shining star!RazorandBlade is a star, a bright shining star!
RazorandBlade is a star, a bright shining star!RazorandBlade is a star, a bright shining star!
Send a message via AIM to RazorandBlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving1992 View Post
Why make trillions when we can make...

billions?
perfect haha

Watch them settle for a mere couple of millions
Old 08-24-2011   #10
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little
I'm here to fertilise some eggs

(6484 days)
Threads: 181
Style: Casual Friday
Mood: Anyone got a gun?
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Dash View Post
If you're gonna try for something like this, you may as well go fucking big. I see nothing wrong with the price.
It entirely depends on what you hope to end up with, if you're entering for a "point" under the realisation you won't get anything choosing an excessive price tag would get people more talking about the price as opposed to the point ad the entire effort being "absurd". There's nothing wrong with say 200mil or even 20mil as people would then lean towards it being chump change for Microsoft and be more interested int he reasons why its occurring as opposed to "500billion, take a moment to digest that...."
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote