Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News For discussing news and information about gaming.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010   #1
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(5651 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 32
Posts: 11,819
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Ultimania Magazine: Hey why doesn't FF13 have towns?

Producer Dudes: Because we didn't want to make the towns and NPCs look as awesome as the character models that are already in HD.

Me: Wait......so you were lazy?




No joke. Just saw it on a news ticker. The reason there are no towns in FF13 is because of 'time constraints' involving making the towns and people look good in HD.


I realize there are some of you out there who will use this to fuel your 'SEE, GRAPHICS ARE MAKING GAMES WORSE' sentiments and to you I say "I agree with them because if towns didn't look as good as everything else it would feel sloppy and unfinished."
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #2
Site Owner and God-Admin
Lancet Jades
The Epochal Avatar
 
Lancet Jades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
(6940 days)
Location: I live in the shadows of eternity...
Age: 37
Posts: 15,589
Threads: 1789
Style: Evening Sky
Mood: Who did the what now?
Time spent on board:
1 year 2 month 3 week 4 day

Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Lancet Jades Send a message via MSN to Lancet Jades Send a message via Yahoo to Lancet Jades
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Chipotlé View Post
realize there are some of you out there who will use this to fuel your 'SEE, GRAPHICS ARE MAKING GAMES WORSE' sentiments and to you I say "I agree with them because if towns didn't look as good as everything else it would feel sloppy and unfinished."
So, we should just cut out everything in a game that will take "too long" to make look as good as the current limits of technology allows?

Hope you only enjoy games made by the biggest and richest companies. That's all that'll be left, and even they'll be eviscerated to keep their bottom line intact.
__________________
Lancet Jades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #3
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(5651 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 32
Posts: 11,819
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet Jades View Post
So, we should just cut out everything in a game that will take "too long" to make look as good as the current limits of technology allows?

Hope you only enjoy games made by the biggest and richest companies. That's all that'll be left, and even they'll be eviscerated to keep their bottom line intact.



If they took the time to fully render HD towns, A: They'd be unable to make it for the 360 unless they downscaled it like a bitch B: It would no doubt cost them more than what they had. C: They're fucking TOWNS.

I'm not saying they should've cut it. Nowhere did I say that. I said I agree with why they decided to not put any towns in. Because they'd have to make every town, and in any given FF game there are a fair number of towns and people, look super great in HD. This would lead to problems with framerate, textures, and most likely would lead to the inferior 360 version being shittier.

So you're saying they should've added towns but made them look not as good as the rest of the game?

And you mention the biggest, richest companies but there are plenty of smaller companies making great looking games. Chair is one of them.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #4
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince
 
Yvlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
(6490 days)
Location: Cy
Age: 35
Posts: 17,389
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
This doesnt have to apply to every game. Devs should work with what they're capable of working with. What they did here is sacrificed gameplay so things could look pretty. If they couldn't handle working with higher graphics, they shouldn't fucking use them.

Between this and the FF7 thing I just posted it really seems like SE is turning into a whiny little bitch with all their complaining about how hard it is to work with graphics.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #5
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(5651 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 32
Posts: 11,819
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
What they did here is sacrificed gameplay so things could look pretty. If they couldn't handle working with higher graphics, they shouldn't fucking use them.

Yeah man, because towns are gameplay now. It's a feature. It's not the first RPG to not have towns. Nor will it be the last. It's not even that big a deal.

Quote:
Between this and the FF7 thing I just posted it really seems like SE is turning into a whiny little bitch with all their complaining about how hard it is to work with graphics.

It is hard to work with graphics. Even if they wanted to not use HD-Capable graphics (Which is a stupid fucking idea) it'd still be hard.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #6
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince
 
Yvlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
(6490 days)
Location: Cy
Age: 35
Posts: 17,389
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Chipotlé View Post
Yeah man, because towns are gameplay now. It's a feature. It's not the first RPG to not have towns. Nor will it be the last. It's not even that big a deal.
When it's part of the original plan to not include towns, that's one thing - maybe you're too busy narrowly escaping death to stop in and chat with the locals - but it sounds like they actually wanted towns in the game, so I'm starting to get worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Chipotlé View Post
It is hard to work with graphics. Even if they wanted to not use HD-Capable graphics (Which is a stupid fucking idea) it'd still be hard.
I dont get how it's a bad idea. If the choice is between publishing the game without HD or not publishing the game at all, it should be obvious which to pick.

But you're right, this probably isnt a big deal, but it's their attitude that's pissing me off. They've had 4 years to work on this, and they're giving us an unfinished game, and not only that but they're whining about it.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #7
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(5651 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 32
Posts: 11,819
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
When it's part of the original plan to not include towns, that's one thing - maybe you're too busy narrowly escaping death to stop in and chat with the locals - but it sounds like they actually wanted towns in the game, so I'm starting to get worried.

Actually this quote was taken out of context and towns were scrapped early on.

Quote:
I dont get how it's a bad idea. If the choice is between publishing the game without HD or not publishing the game at all, it should be obvious which to pick.
Publishing a game without HD is a bad idea. Who releases a non-1080p compatible game for the PS3/360 these days?

Quote:
But you're right, this probably isnt a big deal, but it's their attitude that's pissing me off. They've had 4 years to work on this, and they're giving us an unfinished game, and not only that but they're whining about it.


They weren't whining at all. Again, the quote on the news ticker was taken out of context.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #8
Site Owner and God-Admin
Lancet Jades
The Epochal Avatar
 
Lancet Jades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
(6940 days)
Location: I live in the shadows of eternity...
Age: 37
Posts: 15,589
Threads: 1789
Style: Evening Sky
Mood: Who did the what now?
Time spent on board:
1 year 2 month 3 week 4 day

Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Lancet Jades Send a message via MSN to Lancet Jades Send a message via Yahoo to Lancet Jades
Droog, like Yvl said, the issue is when they're cutting things purely because they can't afford or manage the level of graphics it would require. If they did scrap towns because of graphics concerns (regardless of when it happened), then they shouldn't fucking use that level of graphics.

It's good that they didn't include something that would display graphical dissonance, but what we're concerned about is that they had to cut ANYTHING because they couldn't manage them graphically. That's a sign to STOP USING SUCH EXPENSIVE AND DIFFICULT TO PRODUCE GRAPHICS. The decision itself, in just the context of FF13, is a smart call, most likely, but the fact it's a call that had to be made raises serious red flags.
__________________
Lancet Jades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #9
Raist Classic
Black Rose
 
Raist Classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
(6611 days)
Age: 34
Posts: 3,119
Threads: 69
Style: Evening Sky
Time spent on board:
4 month 0 week 2 day

Raist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Raist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Raist Classic
Towns always bred some of the worst aspects of JRPGs anyway. I see this as progress.
__________________
Raist Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #10
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(5651 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 32
Posts: 11,819
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet Jades View Post
Droog, like Yvl said, the issue is when they're cutting things purely because they can't afford or manage the level of graphics it would require. If they did scrap towns because of graphics concerns (regardless of when it happened), then they shouldn't fucking use that level of graphics.

It's good that they didn't include something that would display graphical dissonance, but what we're concerned about is that they had to cut ANYTHING because they couldn't manage them graphically. That's a sign to STOP USING SUCH EXPENSIVE AND DIFFICULT TO PRODUCE GRAPHICS. The decision itself, in just the context of FF13, is a smart call, most likely, but the fact it's a call that had to be made raises serious red flags.

You can't simply blame graphics here. Would you rather they find a way to flawlessly implement towns that look as good as the rest of the game or remove them entierly? One would take more development time. And if they went and downscaled the graphics, they would have to start from the beginning again. It's not like this was a decision made lightly. Several factors likely went into this decision. They took the smarter choice. Removing a tedious aspect to maintain the flow and general idea of the game they had in mind.

How can you say that cutting shit is a sign to stop using graphics? Every game cuts shit like this. Don't act like it's not true. And those games still look fantastic. It is the era of HD Gaming. That's why the consoles are HD consoles. So rather than a company utilize the tools available to the fullest of their abilities, you'd rather they take a step back just so they can put in a feature that isn't even game altering? Nevermind the loss both financially and timewise.

And it's not simply the graphics. Consoles have limitations. They can't seem to run smoothly at 60 FPS yet. Would you rather they kept in towns, made them look as great as everything else and thus have a lesser frame rate because of it? Or would you rather they keep a consistent framerate by stripping away things that would hinder the game as a whole? Even a game like Uncharted 2 has framerate problems. As does Mass Effect 2. Both great looking games. FF13 is an amazing looking game. And I'd settle for smooth. You can't simply blame the graphics. There's way more shit going on than just that.

And again, I didn't read the whole quote on the news ticker because it's hard to read G4s 'The Feed' ticker while trying to masturbate.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.28160 seconds (85.64% PHP - 14.36% MySQL) with 13 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.