Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > General Gaming

Notices

General Gaming For the discussion of games from Atari to Zynga.

Old 05-17-2013   #1
Altima
Major Motoko Kusanagi

(5579 days)
Threads: 1532
Style: Smoke
Mood: I have no emotions
Time spent on board:
1 week 6 day 15 hour

Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via MSN to Altima
EA getting rid of online passes

I found this article on Ign.com.

Link - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...-online-passes

Quote:
EA Getting Rid of Online Passes

That’s that.

by Colin Moriarty
May 15, 2013

Online Passes – the controversial attempt by many publishers to encourage new game sales by locking online-centric content for used copies – has become engrained in gaming culture over the last several years. But according to a report on VentureBeat, one major company is doing away with them.

Electronic Arts – the mega-publisher behind a litany of games including Madden, FIFA, Battlefield, Dead Space, Mass Effect and more – will be “discontinuing” its Online Pass initiative. In a statement provided to VentureBeat, EA’s John Reseburg said that “none of our new EA titles will include that feature.”

Reseburg admitted that Online Passes just don’t seem to be working. “Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, many players didn’t respond to the format. We’ve listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward.”

Many major publishers – including Sony and Ubisoft – continue to use Online Passes, though interestingly, Microsoft never seemed to go down that road. Will EA’s abolishment of this system coerce other publishers to follow suit?
This is too little to late to me, and I will tell you why. If they had done this say 3 years ago, it would have been great for them to save face with fans, but doing this now doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

Online passes were made so you would have to either buy a game new to get the pass, and therefore have the ability to play online multiplayer content, or you would have to pay microsoft points or Sony dollars for them.

If the next Xbox doesn't allow used games to play on it, then you will have to buy a game new regardless. Therefore this is a pathetic PR attempt to try and gain back some lost respect from gamers to Ea, and i'm not buying it.
Old 05-17-2013   #2
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5570 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
This might have something to do with their CEO not being a fucking bread salesman anymore.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #3
Kurbee
Dur Almightah

(5817 days)
Threads: 476
Style: Smoke
Mood: Pink
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 2 day

Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Kurbee Send a message via MSN to Kurbee Send a message via Yahoo to Kurbee
Online Passes literally never bothered me.
Kurbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #4
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little
I'm here to fertilise some eggs

(5978 days)
Threads: 181
Style: Casual Friday
Mood: Anyone got a gun?
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbee View Post
Online Passes literally never bothered me.
It wouldn't, chiefly because you're in a core country. When you're not, everything matters because you are constantly bent over and reamed by such things.

Online only? We still run copper, speed wise Australia is. per capita towards dead last in the developed world, how are we then meant to stream to servers not in the country, nor in the geographic region without massive loss of that speed?

Companies engaging in such ideas, effectively bones 80% of the market in such situations because the only ones that will be partaking of the content are those with the money & time to spend dealing with the problems that will, do and continue to arise with them.

Also a rather core reason why the next gen can literally get fucked if it's going to require a constant internet connection.
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #5
Raist Classic
Black Rose

(5691 days)
Threads: 69
Style: Evening Sky
Time spent on board:
4 month 0 week 2 day

Raist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Raist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Raist Classic
Online passes are only needed for online multiplayer content - if your connection is really that bad, then you probably aren't going to be playing much online whether you're paying for it or not.

Personally I always thought they were a great idea. Plus it encourages sellers of used games to offer a more reasonable price for them, if the consumer knows they want the online content (and a lower overall price if they don't). $55 for a six-month old used game with no guarantees on its condition? You've gotta be out of your mind.
Old 05-18-2013   #6
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5570 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Cola View Post
Personally I always thought they were a great idea.
On paper, I can see why you would think that, but if there were such a good idea, EA wouldn't be rescinding this policy now. It's gotta be failing pretty hard for EA to ditch it.

It's ultimately a deceptive and underhanded screw-over to anyone not familiar with EA's policies. Kids, for example, who have no business buying a full-priced game, might throw a month and a half of allowance at a $30 used game, only to find they need to save up another two weeks to play the part of it they want, and that sort of "moving the goalpost" frustration is far more intense than it would be knowing the price beforehand. It inconveniences others, as well, by making us type in a garble of random letters on a fucking x-box controller every time we buy a new game. It may make sense monetarily to them, but there's more to doing good business than money - in this era, convenience is king. Look at the hate EA has, and where its profits are - do you not think online passes contributed to this at all? It's not a "great" idea by any means.

Meanwhile, I still don't understand why Gamestop can't / isn't being made to pay modest royalties to the publishers for used game sales. Or why it seems so fucking difficult for publishers to lower game prices on their own, which would negate the need for a used game industry. I havent bought a game used in, like, a year, thanks to Steam sales, for instance.
Old 05-19-2013   #7
Raist Classic
Black Rose

(5691 days)
Threads: 69
Time spent on board:
4 month 0 week 2 day

Raist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Raist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Raist Classic
Whatever price they set it at, consumers will always want it to be cheaper if they're given the option. People that buy used games will probably be buying them whether the retail price is $30 or $80.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I still don't understand why Gamestop can't / isn't being made to pay modest royalties to the publishers for used game sales.
That would set a pretty uncomfortable precedent.
Old 05-19-2013   #8
Travisblaze
BITW

(5358 days)
Threads: 65
Mood: It swings
Time spent on board:
5 day 9 hour 13 min

Travisblaze is truly an inspiration to allTravisblaze is truly an inspiration to allTravisblaze is truly an inspiration to all
Travisblaze is truly an inspiration to allTravisblaze is truly an inspiration to allTravisblaze is truly an inspiration to allTravisblaze is truly an inspiration to allTravisblaze is truly an inspiration to allTravisblaze is truly an inspiration to allTravisblaze is truly an inspiration to allTravisblaze is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Travisblaze Send a message via Yahoo to Travisblaze
Well, that's good. Now if I wanted to buy a used copy of Madden and not waste five dollars, I definitely could. A little too late if you ask me though.
Old 05-19-2013   #9
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5570 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Quote:
Whatever price they set it at, consumers will always want it to be cheaper if they're given the option. People that buy used games will probably be buying them whether the retail price is $30 or $80.
The number of people buying used would drastically change at those price points. I think if all games were $30, much fewer people would feel the need to look for used games + wait for their price to drop, to say nothing of how unprofitable Gamestop would be in this hypothetical. Meanwhile, at $80, the number of people willing and able to spend that much on a game would decrease, boosting the used game industry. Plus, used games are inferior products, if only by a little - it always feels better to buy a game new, and to be assured that nobody has jizzed on your disc in the past or something.

Quote:
That would set a pretty uncomfortable precedent.
I think I see what you mean, from a legal standpoint. I tend to forget that the law technically makes no distinction between an individual human being and a corporation anymore. I'm also not convinced we're not all about to lose the right to resell products anyway.
Old 05-20-2013   #10
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little
I'm here to fertilise some eggs

(5978 days)
Threads: 181
Style: Casual Friday
Mood: Anyone got a gun?
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Quote:
Personally I always thought they were a great idea. Plus it encourages sellers of used games to offer a more reasonable price for them, if the consumer knows they want the online content (and a lower overall price if they don't). $55 for a six-month old used game with no guarantees on its condition? You've gotta be out of your mind.
Do not get me started on pricing, I still struggle to understand why, simply because I was born in Australia this means I'm entitled to a 100+ % mark up on digital copies of games to go with my 100+% mark up of hard copies irregardless of how well my national dollar goes.

It is inherently always cheaper for me to personally ship any and all gaming products from the US or Asia than it is for me to buy local. So an online pass system here would effectively shoehorn me into that position because companies are fucking arseholes and nationalise their digital services per region, so I would either have to suddenly become proficient in Cantonese or Korean or pay through the nose for the same fucking product you get.

On the one had we are, nationally fixing our infrastructure to become fibre to the door as opposed to fibre to the node (or the current of fibre when you pay extra when building a house) but pricing models is out of our hands unless its heavily subsidised which will never happen because then companies and us can't pass a 40% tariff onto consumers.

Otherwise known as my tv can handle both pal and ntsc as can my consoles, why the fuck do I need a US address to download from a fucking digital store?
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote