Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Main Sector > Coffee House > News

Notices

News Discuss events in the "real" world here.

Old 10-12-2011   #1
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5576 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Iranian Terror Plot Foiled

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/12/us/ira...html?hpt=hp_t1
Quote:
Washington (CNN) -- With many sanctions already in place, the U.S. government is poised to take an even stronger stance Wednesday against Iran amid allegations that Tehran was behind a plot to assassinate a Saudi envoy on U.S. soil.

A naturalized U.S. citizen holding Iranian and U.S. passports is in custody, and another -- a member of Iran's Revolutionary Guard -- is likewise charged in the alleged murder-for-hire scheme targeting Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United States. Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday that elements of Iran's government directed the plan.

The accusations have rankled many throughout Washington.

Rep. Peter King, a New York Republican and chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, called carrying out such a scheme an "act of war" five times during a five-minute CNN interview.

While outlining several other steps that Washington may take, he insisted that no options be ruled out.

"We should not be ... automatically saying we're not going to have military action," King said Tuesday night, saying that this "flagrant and notorious" alleged plot brought already testy relations between the United States and Iran to a "very precipitous level."

"Everything should be left on the table when you are talking about a potential attack (in) the United States, an act of war."

Mohammad Khazaee, Iran's permanent representative to the United Nations, said Tuesday night that he was "shocked to hear such a big lie."

He said the chain of events outlined by U.S. authorities was an "insult to the common sense" of people everywhere.

A senior U.S. defense official said Tuesday that there has been no change in U.S. military posture in reaction to the alleged terror plot.

No U.S. Navy ships, for example, have been repositioned and there currently are no plans to do so.

"The act is already done," the official said, noting the plot purportedly has been disrupted and calling it "much more of a law enforcement matter" than a military one.

"One of the people involved is still at large, but the other principal is in custody. So what does changing military posture do?"

Already, the U.S. government has numerous sanctions against Iranian interests, amid continuing concerns about Tehran's budding nuclear program and its alleged ties to terrorism.

The focus on this front will be to urge other nations to join Washington and get tougher on Iran, a senior State Department official said Tuesday.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and other senior diplomatic officials will place calls to foreign leaders and U.N. Security Council representatives, the official said.

That includes reaching out to key figures from countries, such as Russia and China, which have diplomatic relations with both Washington and Tehran.

The United States also plans on getting in touch with leaders from the Gulf Cooperation Council (a coalition of Persian Gulf nations), the Organization of the Islamic Conference (which consists of 56 Islamic states and promotes Muslim solidarity) and the Arab League, said two Obama administration officials.

"It is a tremendous opportunity for the United States and the world to create pressure (on Iran)," Sen. Robert Menendez, D-New Jersey, said on Tuesday. "We have the opportunity to change the dynamics."

The idea is to push others to enforce existing sanctions, implement new ones, cut ties with Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard and generally join the United States in a "chorus of international condemnation," according to the State Department official.

"(They'll) go to other countries and say this is a serious escalation of Iran's use of political violence," a senior Obama administration official added.

If there is an international debate, Iran fired its first salvo Tuesday night. Khazaee wrote U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to "express our outrage" over what he called "fabricated and baseless allegations."

"As the Secretary-General of the United Nations you have an important responsibility in enlightening the international public opinion about the dangerous consequences of warmongering policies of the United States government on international peace and security," the Iranian envoy wrote.

Yet such rhetoric has not appeared to have much of an impact, as of yet, in Washington, with politicians from both major parties insisting that the entire Iranian government be held responsible.

Rep. Mike Rogers, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said he believed an act as significant as "committing an act of terror on foreign soil" would likely need top-level approval.

Several other prominent U.S. politicians including Rogers' Senate counterpart, Dianne Feinstein of California, and King echoed the sentiment that President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and/or other leading Iranian officials must have signed off on the plot.

"It would seem to me -- and this is just surmising on my part -- that before a country would go after an ambassador of another country, in a third country, that they would have the acceptance of the government. I just don't see how this could be done any other way," said Feinstein.

While the State Department official stressed sanctions, others suggested other penalties and moves to pressure Iran.

King, for example, said the U.S. military could move around troops and ships "to indicate how seriously we're taking this."

And the government could force the removal from the United States of those representing Iranian interests in Washington and at the New York-based United Nations, including Khazaee.

"I think that the United States has to really consider taking very significant actions," said King. "I don't think sanctions alone are enough."
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #2
Altima
Major Motoko Kusanagi

(5585 days)
Threads: 1532
Style: Smoke
Mood: I have no emotions
Time spent on board:
1 week 6 day 15 hour

Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via MSN to Altima
I wonder what is going to happen next.

I do agree that if this mission had any kind of real government backing or that the Iranian government had knowledge of it before hand, then it had to of had top level clearance. I just don't see anyone else having the authority to sign off on it.

It could just have been done by some crazy rebels tho, only time will tell.
Old 10-12-2011   #3
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(5263 days)
Threads: 315
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
I seem to remember saying somethig, years ago, along the lines of "Iran is the next country to be invaded." This whole thing is really looking like it'll escalate into armed conflict if this keeps up.

That said, I do actually agree with Altima. Saying that the top brass would have needed to sign it off, meaning it was government sanctioned and approved, is a bit much to immediately assume so quickly without further information. It very well COULD be some rebels or standard terroists just hoping to stir up some trouble. BUT. It wouldn't surprise me if it WAS officially ordered by the Iranian government, the way things have been.
Old 10-12-2011   #4
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5576 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Well the trail led back to a high ranking Iranian official, so one way or another, their government is involved. There's conclusive proof he was linked to it due to bank transactions, and if the top ranks didnt know about it and he acted on his own, the correct response would be to condemn him and remove him from office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
I seem to remember saying somethig, years ago, along the lines of "Iran is the next country to be invaded." This whole thing is really looking like it'll escalate into armed conflict if this keeps up.
Libya was invaded since, so that's already null. But we would have been in Iran years ago, in the Bush administration, if not for a strategic strait they control that could disrupt the oil economy drastically.
Old 10-12-2011   #5
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(5263 days)
Threads: 315
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Dash View Post
Libya was invaded since, so that's already null. But we would have been in Iran years ago, in the Bush administration, if not for a strategic strait they control that could disrupt the oil economy drastically.
Well, I did say that during the Bush administration, so it's not like I could have forseen Libya, heh. But yeah, you're right. I was just voicing my thoughts that a possible war with Iran has been breweing for a very long time now.
Old 10-12-2011   #6
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little
I'm here to fertilise some eggs

(5984 days)
Threads: 181
Style: Casual Friday
Mood: Anyone got a gun?
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Woah woah woah, US are getting pissy because a foreign nation may have attempted an assassination on their soil? Pakistan says hello pretentious bitches.

But yeah, dual nationality is a non issue, it's a global economy where heritage is used as ammunition to slander based on bullshit politics, if a citizen residing in the US seeks to commit a crime people just need to see a US citizen and not immediately defer to "well he's Iranian as well so we'll just disassociate him and keep the good law abiding ones" it is good that China & Russia have been engaged (if there are any sort of official backing to said act) as frankly the US word in Iran would mean sweet didly squat if it came direct, but expecting immediate action in any event is presumptuous.

Also on this, people do also need to get their heads around that in some cases the military is completely separate from the government and effectively self regulated as opposed to answering to ministers and cabinet and such. In such situations they do enter into contracts for mutual protection of said nation and acting on said interests. Not saying this is such a case here, but it's food for thought.

Also Libya was invaded via NATO as opposed to through the UN (similar fashion to the Iraq & Afghanistan wars) so a US led war in the region (which is probably what Saph means?) where everyone just then goes "fine" and falls in line would still be on the cards from that viewpoint, not that I agree with it.
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #7
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5576 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
Pakistan says hello pretentious bitches.
We weren't supposed to be helping Iran kill the ambassador.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
Not saying this is such a case here, but it's food for thought.
Iran's military and government are actually indeed quite splintered, but my previous point about that stands.
Old 10-12-2011   #8
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little

(5984 days)
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Dash View Post
We weren't supposed to be helping Iran kill the ambassador.
Well the point inherently being that Iran would be voiding sovereignty of the US by allowing or authorising an act of war inside their borders. The targets or the reasons are largely irrelevant when the acts are similar in nature.

Quote:
Iran's military and government are actually indeed quite splintered, but my previous point about that stands.
Like I said I agree that if it ends up that he knew then yes the correct response would be to remove him from office, and in one of those rare cases I also agree with the US deferring to the regional powers instead of trying to strong arm a solution from the get go so that's also fine. The "question" was if that was a lump sum for the assassination or if it was for a contract renewal or through official finances or etc since there's no info on what role this individual has outside of being "high ranking official" it's far too early to call.
Old 10-14-2011   #9
Dark Luther
Jackal...

(5721 days)
Threads: 464
Mood: Casually shell shocked.....
Time spent on board:
2 week 5 day 9 hour

Dark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Dark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Dark Luther
What do you guys think is the possibility that it is indeed a fabricated story...,
it does seem a little too perfect...,
though that may just be a conspiracy theory...

I won't die I won't go away I'll always be here
no good asking me I won't speak

no words sitting alone night in my hut eyes closed hands open
wisps of an unknown face

hear the cruel no-answer until blood drips down
beat your head against the wall of it

we're lost where the mind can't find us
utterly lost

- Ikkyū
Dark Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011   #10
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little

(5984 days)
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Luther View Post
What do you guys think is the possibility that it is indeed a fabricated story...,
it does seem a little too perfect...,
though that may just be a conspiracy theory...
To be frank I obviously don't trust much which comes out of the US in regards to anything Middle East related, Iran is a "special" subject considering the last presidential race where McCain did make mention of them as an enemy state. But likewise, Iran has motive and rightly or wrongly has effectively had several boots attempting to quash them to form bitterness that it's "viable" in a small capacity.