Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News For discussing news and information about gaming.

Old 05-18-2013   #1
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5570 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Final Fantasy VIII Getting High-Res PC Release

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Res-PC-Release
Quote:
Square Enix is working on a new version of Final Fantasy VIII that smooths out the graphical wrinkles of the PlayStation era.

There are eras of gaming that have aged arguably better than others. Looking back on the 16-bit years, for instance, there are many gamers who would probably still consider it a beautiful time for gaming. The 32-bit years, on the other hand, often feel like the awkward teenage years of videogame visuals. 3D graphics were still new and there are more than a few games that look less than stellar now that the passage of time has shown us just how good things can get. In short, what was shiny on the PlayStation may not be so shiny today.

Hoping to spruce up one of its PlayStation-era titles, Square Enix has revealed that it's working on a high-resolution version of Final Fantasy VIII for PCs. Currently lacking a release date and still exclusive to Japan, the new version of VIII will polish away the rougher edges of the game's visuals. It will still maintain many elements of a late-90s PlayStation title, but screenshots released by Square Enix definitely point to an experience that looks smoother than its original release.

One thing we'd love to see, if this version of VIII is a success, is a similar high resolution version of Final Fantasy IX. Aside from being sorely under-appreciated, IX is the only member of the mainline PlayStation Final Fantasy's to never see a release on PCs. Considering its visuals, though rooted in a different art style, suffer from largely the same problems as Final Fantasy VIII, it too could benefit from a bit of smoothing out. Final Fantasy VII, of course, saw a PC re-release in 2012.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #2
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4731 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
Aside from being sorely under-appreciated,

By who? FF 9 is like the favorite of almost every internet community I know.

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #3
Kurbee
Dur Almightah

(5817 days)
Threads: 476
Style: Smoke
Mood: Pink
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 2 day

Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Kurbee Send a message via MSN to Kurbee Send a message via Yahoo to Kurbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapplecrack View Post
Same here, actually.
Kurbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013   #4
Irving1992
Katon! Goukakyuu No Justu!

(4656 days)
Threads: 127
Style: Darkfire
Mood: Peaks and Valleys
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 4 day

Irving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimen
Irving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimenIrving1992 is a magnificent specimen
Send a message via AIM to Irving1992 Send a message via Yahoo to Irving1992
I just want this game re-released all fancy like on non-Sony consoles. T.T

Irving1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013   #5
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5570 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapplecrack View Post
I still cannot fucking figure out what you people see in that game that elevates it above FF8. I replayed it recently, and it was worse than I remembered. I can't even praise the story anymore. Yeah it had some badass moments, but after disc 1 everything between those moments was garbage and filler.
Old 05-19-2013   #6
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4731 days)
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
At least FF9's story doesn't take a complete dive up its own ass midway through the second disc. It has that, at least.

And FF9 at least cares somewhat about...most of its cast instead of just the two on the cover.

Also FF9 has a better villain than 8.

Also FF9 deals with the issue of mortality in a pretty fun way.

Also FF8 has trains so that makes it the best.

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Old 05-19-2013   #7
Altima
Major Motoko Kusanagi

(5579 days)
Threads: 1532
Style: Smoke
Mood: I have no emotions
Time spent on board:
1 week 6 day 15 hour

Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via MSN to Altima
I like both FFVIII, and FFIX although switching to Laguna was a pain to me at times. I like the Timbers Owls area of the game, and the garden training of soldiers idea. All the time compression stuff, and sorcerouses made it a bit weird tho.

Especially if you think the idea of Ultimecia being Rinoa in the future is true, although there is a good argument for it on youtube, I will try to put the link here.

Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coGp79kWnyk

That is only one of them, there are others.

Another one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YggjyBbFfvY

The first one is longer, and better, and explains why she tries to kill him at the end.

I would like to see Final Fantasy remakes on consoles, and with Ps4 and the next Xbox coming you would think Sony or Microsoft would want them on their consoles too in order to help move ther consoles, and put them above the other ones.
Old 05-19-2013   #8
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4731 days)
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima View Post
Especially if you think the idea of Ultimecia being Rinoa in the future is true

No one believes this.

Like it's just not true at all.

Old 05-19-2013   #9
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5570 days)
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

The characters in FF9 are the last remaining bastion of respect for the game I have. But I feel like everything in FF8 that was mandatory actually made sense to be there, whereas much of FF9 was inconsequentially chasing Kuja around from unused landmark to unused landmark just so see said landmark. My only gripe about FF8 is how suddenly Squall decides he's in love with Rinoa. And how exploitable the system is, but at least FF8 has the courtesy to TELL you you're affecting your stats.
Old 05-19-2013   #10
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4731 days)
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
But I feel like everything in FF8 that was mandatory actually made sense to be there, whereas much of FF9 was inconsequentially chasing Kuja around from unused landmark to unused landmark just so see said landmark
The only time they were really chasing Kuja was the end of disc 2 and the early part of disc 3. And it was never in service of seeing landmarks, Madain Sari bit aside. Every stop they made was in service of finding or otherwise confronting Kuja.

Disc 1 was all about getting Garnet to Lindblum, which you did. Along the way Garnet starts questioning her mother because of the shit she saw in Dali and so she decides to strike out on her own because Zidane was treating her like a child. Then Zidane, Freya, and Vivi got word that Burmecia was under attack and Freya was like "Fuck your shit, Zidane, this is my home" and Zidane is like "Well shit, my character trait is my willingness to help others and Garnet has Steiner so...she'll be fine." And then they go to Burmecia and meet Kuja/Beatrix and discover that Brahne is kind of a dick.

Then Disc 2 rolls around and Garnet, on her way to Alexandria to question her mother, runs into Tantalus and decides that since she owes Blank her life that she'll help them out with the supersoft since Treno is pretty much a suburb of Alexandria. Meanwhile Zidane and friends hightail it to Cleyra because Burmecia is lost and they need to warn the Cleyrans that they might not be safe. Garnet arrives back in Alexandria thanks to Dr. Tot and Marcus and goes to see the queen, playing right into Brahne's (and thus Kuja's) hands. She is then knocked out and Steiner imprisoned. Alexandria attacks Cleyra and Zidane and friends hitch a ride with the mages back to the Red Rose where they learn that Brahne is kind of a huge dick. They hitch a ride to Alexandria to mount a daring rescue. They save the Princess but after she has her summons pulled and Steiner and Freya stay behind to cover the escape. Zidane, Vivi, and Garnet escape to Treno but their gargant goes haywire so they land in Pinnacle Rocks outside of Lindblum where Garnet is all "Fuck off, Ramuh, no one likes Final Fantasy 2." They see Lindlum attacked by Atamos. Cid is then like "Fuck this is like an act of war. Oh yeah, also Brahne's supply of black mage weapons is coming from a weapons dealer named Kuja. If we cut off the supply of weapons we can effectively launch a counter attack. Zidane is gung ho because he's he hero, Garnet wants to save her mother and Vivi has his own insecurities to work through. Kuja was seen fleeing to the North continent so the party has to go there. The Northern Continent has a grand total of one settlement so they go there and learn that the weapons Kuja makes have a personality and aren't mindless. So they decide to gather information and let Vivi deal with his issues. There they learn that Kuja is hanging out in the northeast part of the continent, the 'Sanctuary'.

Then they take that side trip to Madain Sari because Eiko

They continue on their original goal of going to the Sanctuary/Iifa Tree where they learn that Kuja was using Mist blah blah. They cut off the source to draw Kuja to them. Then blah blah Amarant. Kuja shows up and is all "Fuck you guys, Brahne was a total dick I was just giving her what she wanted. Also I don't need a shitton of Mist to make monsters, fuckers." Then Brahne shows up and gets exploded by Kuja taking control of the eidolons because that was his goal.

The start of disc 3 is the aimless part where it's just all "New queen. Card tourney. Catching up with Tantalus." Kuja attacks Alexandria to capture Alexander but then Garland is like "Fuck you, Kuja" and ruins his plan. Garland fucks up the castle, party retreats to Lindblum whereupon they decide to hunt Kuja down since he destroyed the nations of Gaia and that shit is not cool. But then they learn that the smart black mages went to join up with Kuja which is baffling to all of them. They learn that Kuja was being his manipulative self again and went to hide out in his palace. There, Kuja tricks Zidane into getting the magic stone he needs then he kidnaps Eiko and flees to Final Fantasy 1 reference volcano where they learn that Kuja needs powerful summons to stop Terra's assimilation shit and also Garland. But it is there Kuja learns about trance and is all "Fuck this is PERFECT, thanks!"

Then there is the slightly hokey part where Cid's estranged wife was privy to information because Kuja liked to monologue to his prisoners. So the party goes to Ipsens/Shrines/Shimmering Isle all in service of getting to Kuja because fuck he is evil and has bad intentions. Then Terra happens and Zidane learns about his and Kuja's real purpose and then You're Not Alone plays and everyone loves that song. They confront Garland/Kuja and then Kuja goes super saiyan and blows up Terra because he is such a narcissist that if he is going to die he wants the whole world to die with him because no world should be without his presence in it.

And by this point it is disc 4 and the only goal is "FUCKING STOP KUJA FROM DESTROYING THE WORLD" and by disc 4 there's only like one place open anymore.

With very few exceptions there is always a clear and present reason for where the characters go and why they are going there. Also unlike in FF8, FF9 always had a clear and present antagonist instead of a vague 'oh she is a future sorceress now go kill NORG or whatever'. Like, I like FF8 more than I probably should but most of my like stems from that game having HARD science fiction trappings and not things like characters or plot. That game, for me, peaked in disc 2 which felt like a natural extension of disc 1. Of course Galbadia would be all "FUCK YOU, BALAMB" for attempting to assassinate their leader.

But then they go to space and monsters come from the moon and it's like...what.