Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Main Sector > Coffee House > News

Notices

News Discuss events in the "real" world here.

Old 09-29-2011   #1
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(5576 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Out-Of-Work Borders Employees Deliver an Honest Farewell

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...onest-Farewell
Quote:
Employees at a Borders bookstore took the company's looming demise as an opportunity to bid farewell to their customers with an outburst of brutal honesty.

The number-one reason why retail jobs suck isn't the lousy hours, the crappy pay or the clueless management. It's the customers. Some of them are warm rays of sunshine, but a great many others are rude, snarky irritants who are completely obvious to anything but their own selfish, superficial needs. Yeah, I spent a lot of years in retail too, so I know what it's like, and I know that sometimes the only thing that holds it all together is the dream of the day - The Last Day - when we can finally let it all hang out.

For most of us, it remains a dream forever, but the employees at one of the many Borders stores that recently shut down decided not to let the opportunity slip away. Politely, but with firm resolve, the staff waved goodbye with a big list of "Things We Never Told You," a blast of cathartic honesty that won't change a thing but probably made a few people feel just a wee bit better about losing their jobs.

Some personal favorites:

* "We greatly dislike the phrase 'quick question.' It's never true. And everyone seems to have one."
* "Most of the time when you returned books, you read them already - and we were on to you."
* "It never bothered us when you threatened to shop at Barnes & Noble. We'd rather you do if you're putting up a stink."
* "We were never a daycare. Letting your children run free and destroy our kids section destroyed a piece of our souls."
* "When you walked in and immediately said, 'I'm looking for a book,' what you really meant to say is, 'I would like you to find me a book.' You never looked. It's fine, that's our job, but let's be correct about what's really happening here."

Here's the whole thing:
(click link above to see)

If it comes across as a little bitter, odds are you've never worked in retail before, because those of you who have are probably admiring the polite restraint it shows. And that's what makes the reactions to this message so interesting: customers see employees exposing their true colors, while employees see it as an opportunity to finally speak the truth about their customers.

The real truth is that the vast majority of retail encounters are smooth, painless and instantly forgotten, but it's the ugly ones that tend to stick with us. So while our perspectives may be skewed, odds are that yours are too; thus, on behalf of low-paid, downtrodden, disrespected retail employees around the world, I'd like to take a moment to say, well played, good sirs and ladies. Well played indeed.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #2
Deimho
Deja Vu :o

(3308 days)
Threads: 1
Style: Evening Sky
Mood: Happy, if not a lil tired
Time spent on board:
2 day 22 hour 33 min

Deimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fastDeimho is gaining popularity fast
Couldn't agree more, most customers are fine and lovely, i just wish you could tell the rude ones to go and f themselves.
Old 09-29-2011   #3
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4737 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
"People in retail deal with annoying people: Film at 11"

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #4
Dark Luther
Jackal...

(5721 days)
Threads: 464
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Casually shell shocked.....
Time spent on board:
2 week 5 day 9 hour

Dark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Dark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanityDark Luther is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Dark Luther
Yeah, some of the locations near here looked like disaster zones...

I won't die I won't go away I'll always be here
no good asking me I won't speak

no words sitting alone night in my hut eyes closed hands open
wisps of an unknown face

hear the cruel no-answer until blood drips down
beat your head against the wall of it

we're lost where the mind can't find us
utterly lost

- Ikkyū
Dark Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #5
Altima
Major Motoko Kusanagi

(5585 days)
Threads: 1532
Style: Smoke
Mood: I have no emotions
Time spent on board:
1 week 6 day 15 hour

Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via MSN to Altima
I agree with what they said, being in retail myself.
Old 09-30-2011   #6
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(5263 days)
Threads: 315
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima View Post
I agree with what they said, being in retail myself.
Basically this.

I used to like the regulars at one of my jobs in fast food - I liked the job and most of the customers, but one bad customer totally ruined an entire work day for me - and we WERE guaranteed at least one a day.

The worst was the religious people who thought we put pork shortening in our sunflower oil and cursed me out for it on a daily basis - we had a freaking complete list of ALL ingredients in ALL our products available for viewing - and our menu was entirely pork free outside of the bacon bits we used on a whopping one dish (I mean FFS, if your religion says "don't eat food X" then DON'T EAT OUT!)
Old 09-30-2011   #7
Seraph Zero
Starkfeldherr

(5766 days)
Threads: 19
Mood: Introspective
Time spent on board:
1 week 2 day 21 hour

Seraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to all
Seraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to allSeraph Zero is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Seraph Zero Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
Basically this.

I used to like the regulars at one of my jobs in fast food - I liked the job and most of the customers, but one bad customer totally ruined an entire work day for me - and we WERE guaranteed at least one a day.

The worst was the religious people who thought we put pork shortening in our sunflower oil and cursed me out for it on a daily basis - we had a freaking complete list of ALL ingredients in ALL our products available for viewing - and our menu was entirely pork free outside of the bacon bits we used on a whopping one dish (I mean FFS, if your religion says "don't eat food X" then DON'T EAT OUT!)
Worse still, being stuck as a cook in a dine-in joint, whether small-time or chain. It always amused me (translated- severely pissed me off) when customers asked for substitutions. Hey asshole, there's a reason we serve this side with this dish, or this sauce on this entre- because our menu fucking works. If you could cook as well as we do, and wanted steamed bok choy instead of garlic potatoes, you'd do it yourself. But you can't. You're at my goddamn restaurant, and you WILL eat what's on the menu. Some days, it kind of felt like the Amateur Night At the Apollo-version of Iron Chef. Many times, my kitchen manager grabbed me by the collar to stop me from storming out to a table and inviting whichever fucktard ordered a substitution to cook the fucking food themselves. Then again, my anger issues are well-documented.

Oh yeah, and don't even get me started on the question, "Can you make that vegetarian?"

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Seraph Zero is offline   Reply With Quote