Old 11-10-2005   #1
Raist Classic
Black Rose

(4982 days)
Threads: 69
Style: Evening Sky
Time spent on board:
4 month 0 week 2 day

Raist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Raist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Raist Classic
Computer help

Comp won't startup. Gets to the desktop for about six or seven seconds, then just restarts. Anything I can do to check for what's wrong?

I'm almost entirely computer illiterate, so dumb it down as much as possible.

Also, it's been randomly restarting maybe once a week for about the past month and a half. In fact, I was planning on starting a thread about that in a few days if it happened again, but now it just won't startup.
Old 11-10-2005   #2
Cherubim1324
The Guardian

(4718 days)
Threads: 1075
Time spent on board:
2 month 1 week 4 day

Cherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimen
Cherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimen
Send a message via AIM to Cherubim1324
Safe Mode

Well, your computer is either letting you on long enough to post, or you are using a different one. Also, are you using a Windows OS? If so, did you try going into safe mode & checking for viruses, adware, spyware, and such?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSAFE
Getting into Windows Safe Mode:

Reason:

Users who may not be able to boot into normal mode may need to boot into safe mode bypassing normal windows settings and startup programs, allowing the user to fix his or her computer.

Solution:

Windows 95 Users

To get into Windows 95 safe mode, as the computer is booting, when you either hear a beep or when you see the message "Starting Windows 95", press your F8 key on the top of your keyboard. If done properly you should get into the Windows 95 Startup menu similar to the following screen. In this menu choose option 3 by pressing the 3 key and press enter.

Microsoft Windows 95 Startup Menu
=============================

1. Normal
2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
3. Safe mode
4. Step-by-step confirmation
5. Command prompt only
6. Safe mode command prompt only

Enter a choice: 1

F5=Safe Mode Shift+F5=Command prompt Shift+F8= Step-by-step confirmation [N]

Windows 98 / ME Users

To get into Windows 98 / ME safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 key" on the top of your keyboard or press and hold the left or right Ctrl key as the computer is booting. If done properly you should get into the "Windows 98 / ME Startup Menu" similar to the below screen example. In this menu choose option 3 by pressing the 3 key and press enter.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu
=============================

1. Normal
2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
3. Safe mode
4. Step-by-step confirmation
5. Command prompt only
6. Safe mode command prompt only

Enter a choice: 1

F5=Safe Mode Shift+F5=Command prompt Shift+F8= Step-by-step confirmation [N]

Windows 2000 / XP Users

Tip: If you are running safe mode because you cannot get into Windows you may want to first try loading the last known good configuration. Additional information about this mode can be found on document CH000626.

To get into the Windows 2000 / XP Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

Trouble Getting into Windows 2000 or Windows XP Safe mode - If after several attempts you are unable to get into Windows 2000 or Windows XP safe mode as the computer is booting into Windows, turn off your computer. When the computer is turned on the next time Windows should notice that the computer did not successfully boot and give you the safe mode screen.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

Windows Advanced Options Menu
Please select an option:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

How do I get out of safe mode?

From Windows Safe Mode click Start / Shutdown and restart the computer. This should start the computer automatically back into Normal Mode.

Note: Many users believe that they are still in safe mode because the colors or video may not look correct. Unless in the corners of the screen it says "Safe Mode", you are not in safe mode. For information on how to setup your video card resolution, see document CH000190.

If you are rebooting the computer and it is rebooting back into Safe Mode (it does say "Safe Mode" in each of the corners), it is likely another problem exists with Windows preventing it from loading into Normal Windows. We recommend you see our basic troubleshooting section for additional ideas that may help to resolve your issue.
Getting into Windows Safe Mode

(If you do not have a Windows OS, then I will be unable to help you)

Also, you might have a computer worm: A computer worm is a self-replicating computer program, similar to a computer virus. A virus attaches itself to, and becomes part of, another executable program; however, a worm is self-contained and does not need to be part of another program to propagate itself. They are often designed to exploit the file transmission capabilities found on many computers. (Computer worm definition)

If that is the case, you will have to figure out which one you have and download the proper tool to dispose of it(this is the site where I got the removal tool I needed: Symantec). I had one long ago on my previous computer. I will have to get back to you on how I found it though.
Hopefully some of this will help you. If not, I am sure someone will be able to.
Genesis 3:24 (KJV)

Last edited by Cherubim1324; 07-29-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Cherubim1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #3
Raist Classic
Black Rose

(4982 days)
Time spent on board:
4 month 0 week 2 day

Raist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Raist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanityRaist Classic is a brilliant tribute to humanity
It won't let me connect to the internet in safe mode, and without the internet I can't renew my Norton subscription to get updated definitions. With my current definitions, all it found were three files it classified as spyware that it couldn't delete for some reason.

I've run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Spyware Doctor several times in the past few weeks, but I'll try again.

I think Windows itself can run a full system scan or something, but I don't know how to do it with XP, and I don't remember it ever turning up anything in the ten years I've used it.

Second post:
O...kay...

I'm on the afflicted computer right now, but I didn't really do anything. I ran Spybot and Spyware Doctor (both of which found nothing, which is odd in its own right), then I got some whack-crazy idea to turn off the internet and see if my computer would start up then... and it did. So I turned the internet back on, and it's still working, but now I'm getting a fucking excessive amount of popups (I think about four since I started writing this).

Something (seemingly extremely important) that I forgot to mention: after the previous random reboots, Windows had me send an "error report" and said it was caused by a "device driver." I tried doing the troubleshoot, but it ran me around in circles until I felt capable of mass murder.

EDIT: A quick yahoo search brings me here, which is either the exact page I got after the error report or a very close variation of it.
Raist Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #4
Qween B
AntiDivine Phenomena

(4753 days)
Threads: 107
Style: Blue Hatch
Time spent on board:
8 h 26 min 55 sec

Qween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Qween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanity
k Raist...this is bad heh i had the same problem with an old computer, there was NOTHING i could do the computer place took it back tried to fix it, gave it back, didnt work, so i just returned the entire thing

usually its caused by certain very very bad viruses, ive heard they eventually vause your computer to recognize its own hardware as a virus and it shuts itself down to avoid it

im sorry i wish i knew what to do and since you told me about the pop ups seems like you have my old problem, i hate to say it but my computer became usless and unfixable =(

Qween B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #5
Cherubim1324
The Guardian

(4718 days)
Threads: 1075
Time spent on board:
2 month 1 week 4 day

Cherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimen
Cherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimenCherubim1324 is a magnificent specimen
Send a message via AIM to Cherubim1324
Hardware Issue

Device Driver you say? DAMN! I had that problem once. Turned out to be my motherboard was shitty, so I had to replace it. I highly doubt this is a virus, so my money is on this being a hardware issue. You are just going to have to go through a process of elimination with your hardware components to find out which piece is causing the problem. Other than that, I cannot help, since I am not there.
Genesis 3:24 (KJV)

Last edited by Cherubim1324; 07-29-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Cherubim1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #6
Qween B
AntiDivine Phenomena

(4753 days)
Time spent on board:
8 h 26 min 55 sec

Qween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Qween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanityQween B is a brilliant tribute to humanity
well apparently theres spyware thatll eventually kill you off, some comptuers restart themselves during a threat liek a virus or overlode of spyware and yes motherboard infection BAD

Old 11-10-2005   #7
Raist Classic
Black Rose

(4982 days)
Time spent on board:
4 month 0 week 2 day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherubim1324
Device Driver you say? DAMN! I had that problem once. Turned out to be my motherboard was shitty, so I had to replace it. I highly doubt this is a virus, so my money is on this being a hardware issue.
I'm not so sure it's just one problem. I can't imagine why a hypothetical bad motherboard would cause so many popups, especially when my adaware is picking up nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherubim1324
You're just going to have to go through a process of elimination with your hardware components to find out which piece is causing the problem.
I don't know how to do that, nor do I know anyone who does.
Raist Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #8
Qween B
AntiDivine Phenomena

(4753 days)
Time spent on board:
8 h 26 min 55 sec

Raist im tellin ya right now you probobly need literally a NEW computer

Old 11-10-2005   #9
Ryw
I Thought What I'd Do Was...

(5074 days)
Threads: 190
Mood: I'm posing yo!
Time spent on board:
2 week 3 day 9 hour

Ryw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Ryw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanityRyw is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Ryw
It kinda sounds like that worm that hit like 2 years ago but you probably would've been restarting constintly until you got the update. Have you ran windows update.... ever?
Old 11-10-2005   #10
Nickelback
I N D E S T R U C T I B L E

(4695 days)
Threads: 213
Style: Smoke
Mood: Ima kick ass.
Time spent on board:
1 month 0 week 0 day

Nickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Nickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanityNickelback is a brilliant tribute to humanity
I had this exact same problem before. I couldn't fix it, sadly, and ended up formatting it all. =(

Nickelback is offline   Reply With Quote