Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Main Sector > Coffee House > General Discussion > Anime and Manga

Notices

Anime and Manga Discuss all things anime and manga here! ^_^

Old 01-08-2009   #11
Miles
Ewigkämpfer

(6676 days)
Threads: 578
Style: Event Horizon
Time spent on board:
5 month 2 week 1 day

Miles is on the border of good and evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooglebugle View Post
Then you are looking in the wrong places, sir.
I have to agree.

It's not that difficult to find an anime that doesn't feel like you've seen it before.

Again. Generally, alot of things have the same structure.
That doesn't make them bad.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #12
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(6377 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima View Post
I think they pay more for less in Japan, it isn't cheap for them.
TV, yo.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #13
RazorandBlade
Tis' but a scratch!

(5435 days)
Threads: 32
Style: Ocean Shoals
Mood: Tired.
Time spent on board:
3 day 6 hour 38 min

RazorandBlade is a star, a bright shining star!RazorandBlade is a star, a bright shining star!RazorandBlade is a star, a bright shining star!
RazorandBlade is a star, a bright shining star!RazorandBlade is a star, a bright shining star!
Send a message via AIM to RazorandBlade
Quote:
There may be good shows every 3 years, but on a every year or 6 month basis there are hardly many shows that stand out, or don't feel liek we have seen them before, is what the interview was saying.
I agree with this, maybe it's because I am a little older than the majority of people that watch anime (23). That might of influenced my likings differently then people watching today, so it's just that I could be used to a different kind of anime, but i believe anime is nowhere near how good it was in the early to mid 90's. I barely watch anime compared to how I used to, and now when i watch I'm still watching older stuff that I just hadn't had the chance to catch up on. (Come on you expect me to be able to afford the ranma collection at 16??)
Old 01-08-2009   #14
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(5538 days)
Threads: 1261
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorandBlade View Post
I agree with this, maybe it's because I am a little older than the majority of people that watch anime (23). That might of influenced my likings differently then people watching today, so it's just that I could be used to a different kind of anime, but i believe anime is nowhere near how good it was in the early to mid 90's.

I disagree. In fact, I'd argue that it's better, if only because of how the quality of animation has improved, along with story telling.

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #15
Altima
Major Motoko Kusanagi

(6386 days)
Threads: 1532
Style: Smoke
Mood: I have no emotions
Time spent on board:
1 week 6 day 15 hour

Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via MSN to Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooglebugle View Post
I disagree. In fact, I'd argue that it's better, if only because of how the quality of animation has improved, along with story telling.
The storytelling has gotten worse than ever, or series are rushed to where they didnt look as good as they should. Also other series are put on hold and when or if they are picked up again the quality might not be the best.

The graphics now are the same or not even quite as good as the top notch shows or movies of the mid 90s like Ninja Scroll or Ghost in the Shell. Those 2 anime are 2 of the very best ever made in story and graphics, and hardly anything now even comes close to them. Hell even the newest GITS movie the SSS was horrible in my opinion on both story and graphics even tho it was made 12 years after the original movie came out.

Anime is still popular, but it will die out within 10 years or so if this trend of lousiness continues. Even me a hardcore fan has a hard time even watching anime anymore as it has just gotten lousy, im not drawn towards it as much anymore although I still buy it in the hopes that my fire for anime will return.

They should prehaps bring back some morwe old school kind of shows or perhaps bring out a new movie or series based on the anime of old like Vampire Hunter D, Blood the Last Vampire, or Ninja Scroll.
Old 01-08-2009   #16
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(5538 days)
Threads: 1261
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
The storytelling has gotten worse than ever, or series are rushed to where they didnt look as good as they should. Also other series are put on hold and when or if they are picked up again the quality might not be the best.

Story telling has not gotten worse, if anything it's gotten better. Just because the shows you watch have lackluster stories doesn't mean the entire medium suffers a hit because of it. If anything the only thing that drags down stories is the ridiculous concept of the series it comes from. The genre has come a long ways from the days of new plot every week with an underlying theme in a select few episodes.

As for your looking good comment: you are familiar with 'Off Model', right? It's been around for YEARS. This is not a new thing. The fact is, plenty of recent shows have much better animation than the past. Case in point, Gunslinger Girl. That series is a fucking How To guide on making fluid, solid animation with no Off Model techniques.

Quote:
The graphics now are the same or not even quite as good as the top notch shows or movies of the mid 90s like Ninja Scroll or Ghost in the Shell. Those 2 anime are 2 of the very best ever made in story and graphics, and hardly anything now even comes close to them. Hell even the newest GITS movie the SSS was horrible in my opinion on both story and graphics even tho it was made 12 years after the original movie came out.

If you put all your anime up to a pedestal, this is what's gonna happen. If you take a series, let's say the 1998 classic Cowboy Bebop and compare it with, oh, Kurokami, you'll start to see improvements. Sure, even today Cowboy Bebop's set pieces and use of color/scenery is great, but you'll start to see how dated the actual characters are; especially if you get the Remastered versions.

Quote:
Anime is still popular, but it will die out within 10 years or so if this trend of lousiness continues. Even me a hardcore fan has a hard time even watching anime anymore as it has just gotten lousy, im not drawn towards it as much anymore although I still buy it in the hopes that my fire for anime will return.

Your problem seems to be that you're holding every series up to some rigorous standard. While there are plenty of lousy recent series, there are more than enough decent to great series. Hell, the year just started and already I can name about ten shows that look to be decent this year. And that's just from one or two episodes.

Quote:
They should prehaps bring back some morwe old school kind of shows or perhaps bring out a new movie or series based on the anime of old like Vampire Hunter D, Blood the Last Vampire, or Ninja Scroll.

Older does not mean better. Let the medium continue to advance.

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #17
Goldiroxxor
Mon Collie Knight

(6649 days)
Threads: 1415
Time spent on board:
4 month 0 week 5 day

Goldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leader
Goldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leaderGoldiroxxor is a grand leader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yviolin View Post
TV, yo.
Yeah, they probably have every anime in existence on every day of the week playing >.>
Goldiroxxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #18
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(6377 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Droog really is right about this. You can't seriously see a masterpiece and generalize it the way you're doing. If GITS had been a live action movie, you would be complaining about how new movies in general suck just because they came after GITS.

And it certainly isn't the anime industry's fault that you either aren't hearing about or aren't trying the good new anime. There's Higurashi, Haruhi (debatable), Baccano, Bokurano, Code Geass, Death Note, Claymore, Darker than Black, and presumably One Outs all within the past 2 - 3 years, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

If you want to talk about what's killing the anime industry, it isn't poor quality or anything like that - it's the 26 episode limit put on nearly every anime.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #19
Altima
Major Motoko Kusanagi

(6386 days)
Threads: 1532
Mood: I have no emotions
Time spent on board:
1 week 6 day 15 hour

Send a message via MSN to Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yviolin View Post
Droog really is right about this. You can't seriously see a masterpiece and generalize it the way you're doing. If GITS had been a live action movie, you would be complaining about how new movies in general suck just because they came after GITS.
Well a lot of new movies do suck, mainly because they try to make them too flashy with fancy cg and explosions and forget about the good old action ass kicking. I think that with the way things are now and all the fansub groups and everything that many anime companies will go belly up just like several game companies will with the current costs of putting anything out into the big market

Eventually the fans that say they love anime, but are too cheap to actually pay for it, will bring out its demise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl
Claymore, Darker than Black
I have the 1st volume of Darker than Black and plan to get Claymore once I see it. They are both being put out by Funimation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl
If you want to talk about what's killing the anime industry, it isn't poor quality or anything like that - it's the 26 episode limit put on nearly every anime.
Well time is money and they can make most series longer than that. That or they will make them longer with crappy filelrs and destroy the anime bit by bit.
Old 01-09-2009   #20
Miles
Ewigkämpfer

(6676 days)
Threads: 578
Style: Event Horizon
Time spent on board:
5 month 2 week 1 day

Miles is on the border of good and evil
Quote:

Eventually the fans that say they love anime, but are too cheap to actually pay for it, will bring out its demise.

If they didn't charge stupid prices for a darn DVD including 3 episodes then people would BUY it.
They charge like £20 for a DVD with 3 episodes on it and some "extras" which normally consist of the trailer for the show you're watching and an ad for a site that you can buy more anime from.

I love anime and I'm too cheap to buy it. What's wrong with watching Tv and not buying the DVD's.

I can't say I love anime if I only watch it on Tv and don't buy it?

Since when do you get to decide that.

I watch fansubs with the rest of them but I am terribly sorry for not buying badly subbed DVD's and suffering through word-for-word translated anime.
This is why you get subs like "Where to are is it my brother where?" and so on...Because they translate it so darn poorly.
I made that mistake a few times...It's a waste of money.
I don't want someone making profit buy selling me something I can't even watch!

I do have my fair share of DVD's but...Um...Yeah when you realize how much you're missing out on because they make alot of them "child friendly" ...Kinda makes you not want anymore.

Last edited by Miles; 01-09-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote