Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News For discussing news and information about gaming.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010   #11
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(4115 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 28
Posts: 11,819
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbobattfuch View Post
Replay Value. No one ever said all 300 hours were a single playthrough. I've clocked that much in tons of games. Final Fantasy 4, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda, and anything I owned on the SNES and N64 (I had over a decade to clock those hours) Tales of Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia, Oblivion, Disgaea 2, Dissidia, etc.

If a game is good, it doesn't matter how many hours you put into it, so long as it entertains. If a game is good, you'll just keep on picking it up, no mater how many times you put it down. And Fallout 3 is good. I\m personally closing in on 300 combined hours total counting all 5 of my distinctly different characters. There's my goody two shoes gun maniac, my evil fist fighting stealth master with a power fist and a lust for grenades, etc. It's fun to do the same quests again to see the different ways you can tackle them.


Let me rephrase that: How do people have that much time to devote to a single game.


Also I think Uncharted 2 is great but I don't keep picking it back up. WRENCH IN THE THEORY.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #12
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!
 
Snips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
(4641 days)
Location: Chasing event flags
Age: 29
Posts: 5,402
Threads: 315
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Chipotlé View Post
Let me rephrase that: How do people have that much time to devote to a single game.
Those hours add up on their own. No one said devote.


Quote:
Also I think Uncharted 2 is great but I don't keep picking it back up. WRENCH IN THE THEORY.
If it's so good, then why not? I thought you like it? If you like a song, you listen to it willingly, and if you don't, you don't, right? You don't hear an awesome song and say "Man, that song was awesome but I have no desire to listen to it again," do you? Besides, it's pretty obvious; this isn't a wrench in the theory; you're just being difficult again.
__________________
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #13
Spud Webb
Ciroc Obama
 
Spud Webb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
(3944 days)
Location: 301
Age: 26
Posts: 1,344
Threads: 23
Style: Girl Power
Mood: Is handsome a mood
Time spent on board:
6 day 12 hour 39 min

Spud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimen
Spud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimen
Send a message via AIM to Spud Webb
I don't think I've even spent 300 hours playing every video game like, total. In my life. Or whatever.
__________________


"Evermore Hottest Maln"

I put the mac in aroni
Spud Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #14
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(4115 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 28
Posts: 11,819
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbobattfuch View Post
Those hours add up on their own. No one said devote.
Even if someone plays an hour a day, that's over half a year spent on the same game. It's ridic. By that point what's left? Seeing how far you can go until you can break it?




Quote:
If it's so good, then why not? I thought you like it? If you like a song, you listen to it willingly, and if you don't, you don't, right? You don't hear an awesome song and say "Man, that song was awesome but I have no desire to listen to it again," do you? Besides, it's pretty obvious; this isn't a wrench in the theory; you're just being difficult again.


Some of the songs I really like are also really long and I don't always want to set aside 12 minutes to listen to a song. Doesn't mean I don't like the song a bunch. I really like Uncharted 2. But once you go through the campaign you've only got the online which is fine but far from the best online experience you'll get in a game. It's like a summer action movie. It's totally awesome (unless it's Transformers 2) but you don't always go back and see it just because you really enjoyed it. Why must a game have replay value to qualify as good? Why can't a game just be an amazing 20 hour experience and then you put it away for a length of time and play it again like new? Uncharted 2 is a fantastic, fantastic game. But I wouldn't dream of ever spending 300 hours in it, online or off.

The only games I've ever possibly considered playing more than once are games where there's a difference in how things go. Games like Mass Effect 2 which I've already sunk 65 total hours into across two and a half plays. But it's not because I'm going back to play it that makes it a great game.

I spent a total of, like, 20 hours playing through Batman Arkham Asylum. It is a fantastic game. Better than most games. But why would I go back and play it again? It's not like watching your favorite movie. It's a larger time investment when you already know what's going to happen.

It took me 22 hours to burn through Assassin's Creed 2. I'd say it was a good game, but I have no desire to ever play it again. Because there's no reason to.

I'm not 'being difficult'. Plenty of great games have no replay value.

The fact that you've clocked over 300 hours in that many games astounds me. Especialy those JRPGs where everything is the same. I fucking love the movie His Girl Friday but I wouldn't want to watch it all the time. It would get boring and stale and not my second favorite movie. It is why I now fucking hate the first Mass Effect. I totally love Sonic Youth and The Pixies but I wouldn't want to listen to them all the time for extended periods. It goes doubly so for video games. 300 hours is far too long to spend with one video game. And you've docked that many in at least NINE of them? That's 2700 hours. How does anyone spend 300+ hours with at least nine games. Some of which are fairly new titles? That's...like.....what? At what point do you go "Man, I've had enough of this game"? Because if I spend 300 hours total with a video game, I'd probably want to kill myself or something. Like god damn, dude.



If you've spent 300 hours with a video game, I think you might need to lay off video games. 300 hours. That's just fucking crazy. I'm 20 and I, like Dave, don't think I've spent 300 hours on all of the video games I've played. Which is a fair amount.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.

Last edited by Don Chipotle; 02-06-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #15
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince
 
Yvlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
(4954 days)
Location: Cy
Age: 30
Posts: 17,387
Threads: 1765
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Dood it was spread out over the course of 2 years, 3 100% playthroughs, and quite possibly several sessions of me forgetting the console was on.

300 hours really does go by alot faster than you give it credit for, though. You don't want to know how much time I've spent on MMOs or portable games with a grinding mechanic.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #16
Spud Webb
Ciroc Obama
 
Spud Webb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
(3944 days)
Location: 301
Age: 26
Posts: 1,344
Threads: 23
Style: Girl Power
Mood: Is handsome a mood
Time spent on board:
6 day 12 hour 39 min

Spud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimen
Spud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimen
Send a message via AIM to Spud Webb
I have spent 300 hours boning
__________________


"Evermore Hottest Maln"

I put the mac in aroni
Spud Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #17
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(4115 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 28
Posts: 11,819
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
and quite possibly several sessions of me forgetting the console was on.



That doesn't count.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #18
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!
 
Snips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
(4641 days)
Location: Chasing event flags
Age: 29
Posts: 5,402
Threads: 315
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
Disclaimer: This is an asshole post, and I admit it. However, these things need to be said.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Chipotlé View Post
That doesn't count.
You can't just decide what does or does not count. If that's how you want to do it, I discount your not counting that.

Besides, the 360 pauses the game when the controller disconnects which freezes the play time counter of most games.

Also, he said "Possibly" leaving the console on a few times. So how many hours are in a day? Let's even assume he forgot the console on all weekend. If he breached 400 hours in recorded game time, -48 = 352 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd Webb
I have spent 300 hours boning.
Living proof that hours add up. Thank you for your contribution, my good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Chipoltle
Even if someone plays an hour a day, that's over half a year spent on the same game. It's ridic. By that point what's left? Seeing how far you can go until you can break it?
Oh, right, I forgot your definition of a game aging well encompasses only the graphics and by no means includes its ability to remain fun over the years. No wonder you clearly lack the modicem of intellect to understand how it's physically possible to put in over 300 hours.

Here's a fun fact for you: it takes over that long to achieve some accomplishments on some games, and you like to brag about getting 100% achievements, how how about you come out of denial?

Another fun fact: Being on the bus for over an hour twice a day for 25+ days a month, for multiple months, is the perfect time to rack hours up on a handheld. My old commute to and from work was 2 hours. That job was how I survived, so before you tell me to get a life, try supporting yourself.

Quote:
Some of the songs I really like are also really long and I don't always want to set aside 12 minutes to listen to a song. Doesn't mean I don't like the song a bunch.
You don't need to set time aside just to listen to music. Are you incapable of multitasking? I'm listening to music right now, myself.

Quote:
I really like Uncharted 2. But once you go through the campaign you've only got the online which is fine but far from the best online experience you'll get in a game.
So how is the campaign good if it sucks too large a cock for you to play it again? Seriously, answer that. Don't refute it with illogical "because I said so" bulshit and other such nonsense you always give. Explain. Fully. Or the game is dismissed as a steaming pile of shit.

Quote:
Why can't a game just be an amazing 20 hour experience and then you put it away for a length of time and play it again like new? Uncharted 2 is a fantastic, fantastic game. But I wouldn't dream of ever spending 300 hours in it, online or off.
NO ONE said those 300 hours had to be all at once, you moron-who-is-clearly-incapable-of-reading-parts-of-posts-that-inconvenicne-his-fight-picking (I didn't feel "dumbshit" encompassed that chain of words well enough, pardon me for making you read, omg), and NO ONE said a game can't be put down and picked back up later. Did you not FULLY read a SINGLE POST we made? I quote myself, "I had over a decade to clock those hours." You think I accumulated 300+ hours in OoT in one month? Three, even? I had other games to play, and play them I did.

Thing is, once you've played a game, it will never be new again. You may as well enjoy it until you get tired of it, and THEN shelve it for a long time. I mean seriously, why spend 60+ dollars on a game you'll only get 8-20 hours out of only to not play it once you beat it, when cable TV is 15 dollars a month and gives you more hours of entertainment?

That's the difference between a good game and a bad game. A game's purpose is to entertain, and how the fuck is it able to do that, how can you ever claim it did, if it can't make you want to pick it back up? That's why I consider FFIV to be a better game than FFVI; IV, I've beat literally hundreds of times over the years, whereas with VI, I could only bring myself to beat it 5 times. On the SNES, which had 4 save files for my sister and I to share, I had two. My far file and my early file. When my early file caught up to my far file, I'd make a new early file.

Quote:
I spent a total of, like, 20 hours playing through Batman Arkham Asylum. It is a fantastic game. Better than most games. But why would I go back and play it again? It's not like watching your favorite movie. It's a larger time investment when you already know what's going to happen.
How the hell do you figure that? Please share your so called logic with me since I call bullshit! A game is a much smaller time investment once you know it and can beat it faster! I could name a ton of games that had the total playtime shaved down by over 80% from file 1 to file 10, simply from the skill and tricks I picked up from playing. Again, you are just being difficult.


You know, I'm not even going to bother continuing with this. All I have to say is, if you don't like my post, then stop singling out comments like 300 hours and making a big deal about it. Sometimes you need to be on the receiving end to realize "damn, I'm being an asshole about this" and hey, you ever heard of the golden rule? "Treat others the way you want to be treated?" Well isn't that a bitch that I'm encouraging people to follow it by returning their tone.
__________________
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #19
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(4115 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 28
Posts: 11,819
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbobattfuch View Post
You can't just decide what does or does not count. If that's how you want to do it, I discount your not counting that.

You can't say you've spent 300 hours with a game if some of those hours consisted of you not playing it but leaving the console running. That's not playing a game. That's not spending time with a game. Hence it doesn't count. I could say that I left my CD player at home on the same song for three days while I went on a weekend vacation but that doesn't mean I've spent 72 hours listening to the song.

Quote:
Besides, the 360 pauses the game when the controller disconnects which freezes the play time counter of most games.
The disconnect is like 5 seconds of downtime and it doesn't pause the game on some games. This would require someone to have a disconnected controller for more time than they have spent playing the actual game.

Quote:
Also, he said "Possibly" leaving the console on a few times. So how many hours are in a day? Let's even assume he forgot the console on all weekend. If he breached 400 hours in recorded game time, -48 = 352 hours.
Let's also assume that he already had 300 hours prior to leaving the console one? The point is that he left it on WHILE WORKING TOWARDS the 300 hour tally. Not after.



Quote:
Living proof that hours add up. Thank you for your contribution, my good man.
Living proof that you can't tell a joke post when you see one.



Quote:
Oh, right, I forgot your definition of a game aging well encompasses only the graphics and by no means includes its ability to remain fun over the years. No wonder you clearly lack the modicem of intellect to understand how it's physically possible to put in over 300 hours.
Oh, right, I forgot you have no idea what I consider to be an aged well game. Simply because I'm not a petty fuck that thinks graphics are the root of gaming problems. Lots of older games are fun. But lots of older RPGs are not because they age horribly. And not just from a graphical standpoint, you prick. Also if you can't use modicum correctly, perhaps you shouldn't use it, eh? Finally, I understand that it is possible to spend over 300 hours with a game. What I don't understand is why anyone would ever want to. Much less with nine others.

This is the part where I can totally say how you need to get a life if you've invested 300+ hours into 9+ different games, but that would be ironic all things considered.

Quote:
Here's a fun fact for you: it takes over that long to achieve some accomplishments on some games, and you like to brag about getting 100% achievements, how how about you come out of denial?
You clearly don't know me at all because not a single game I own do I have 100% achievements. The closest I have is Mass Effect 2 and you can get every achievement in that game in a single playthrough. So before you start flinging the denial shit, how about you check your facts.

And no, no game requires someone to play 300 hours to get accomplishments unless they are personal.

Quote:
Another fun fact: Being on the bus for over an hour twice a day for 25+ days a month, for multiple months, is the perfect time to rack hours up on a handheld. My old commute to and from work was 2 hours. That job was how I survived, so before you tell me to get a life, try supporting yourself.
I support myself. I have a life. I take the bus but I don't play video games on the bus when I can do more productive things like socializing. I can still totally tell you to get a life because you spend your time on a bus playing video games. If that's your definition of living, you've got some priorities to work out. Here's a fun fact for you: Stop assuming I don't support myself. Because I do. Because I don't have 300 hours across 9 video games.



Quote:
You don't need to set time aside just to listen to music. Are you incapable of multitasking? I'm listening to music right now, myself.
I set aside time to do shit because I have a plan. Even if we use this musical metaphor you're so adamant on, I covered this by saying that listening to the same song over and over, even if it's a song you totally love, will eventually get annoying and you'll never want to hear that song for a while. And yes, I can multitask quite well. Listening to music while typing isn't exactly multitasking.



Quote:
So how is the campaign good if it sucks too large a cock for you to play it again? Seriously, answer that. Don't refute it with illogical "because I said so" bulshit and other such nonsense you always give. Explain. Fully. Or the game is dismissed as a steaming pile of shit.
Would watching The Sixth Sense have the same impact if you already knew the twist? The Usual Suspects? Se7en? Oldboy? Fight Club? No, you'd know exactly what to expect going in and the surprise is ultimately ruined. It's still a good movie, but the biggest draw is gone. A game like Uncharted 2 has a story that is exciting and full of twists and turns and really great moments. You're on the edge of your seat because things are intense. You play it again and you know everything that is going to happen. No changes. Yeah it's still really good, but there's nothing new about it. You're not on the edge of your seat because you've seen it already. You KNOW what to expect. Like the movies I listed. All good (some great) movies; all movies that, after you see them, you know what to expect. That doesn't take away from the product as a whole, though. You don't watch a movie like The Usual Suspects and go 'Oh boy that twist about Keyser Soze was awesome! I'm going to watch it again and have the exact same experience!" Because you're not. You'll know what to expect. You might pick up on foreshadowing bits you may have missed, but there are many, many people that can pick up on those in a single viewing/playthrough. It still doesn't change the ending. It doesn't change the experience of going through it for the first time and being wowed.

In fact most every game is like this. A single campaign that is the same everytime you play it. You can change things like party members in an RPG, but the story is the same and the ending is the same. But it doesn't mean the game as a whole is worse off for it.

But why should you care? You're willing to dismiss the game because of bullshit. Despite every single person who played it saying roughly the same thing and giving it stellar reviews. But no, it doesn't hold up to your bullshit values about replay value so it must be a shitty game. Eat a cock.



Quote:
NO ONE said those 300 hours had to be all at once, you moron-who-is-clearly-incapable-of-reading-parts-of-posts-that-inconvenicne-his-fight-picking (I didn't feel "dumbshit" encompassed that chain of words well enough, pardon me for making you read, omg), and NO ONE said a game can't be put down and picked back up later. Did you not FULLY read a SINGLE POST we made? I quote myself, "I had over a decade to clock those hours." You think I accumulated 300+ hours in OoT in one month? Three, even? I had other games to play, and play them I did.

I didn't say they had to be all at once. You fag. (I didn't think demeaning a person for being a blinded by rage douchebag would prove my point so I decided to use the old standby that said douchebag takes literally.) This is a moot complaint, really. Because while you say I am incapable of reading, I say you're incapable of reading between the lines. I didn't think you accumulated 300+ hours in OoT, as a matter of fact. Because I didn't think anyone would bother spending that much time with a shitty game. But then, hey, what else is there to do in Canada when hockey is in the off season? The point I was making is that 300 hours, no matter how long it takes, is still fucking long as shit to spend with a game. And Fallout 3 came out not even 2 years ago. There's quite a difference between 300 hours in 10 years and 300 hours in less than 2 years. Dissidia has been out for five months. You claim to have spent 300+ hours in it. In five months. Go ahead and try to deflect to older games all you want, but for all this talk about picking up a game later, it sure did take you no time at all to sink 300 hours into Dissidia.

You're going to bring up the bus, aren't you. But for all I know, you didn't take that same bus ride five months ago. I mean, I'm just assuming, but you presume to know all about me and my gaming habits, so clearly I can do this.

Quote:
Thing is, once you've played a game, it will never be new again. You may as well enjoy it until you get tired of it, and THEN shelve it for a long time. I mean seriously, why spend 60+ dollars on a game you'll only get 8-20 hours out of only to not play it once you beat it, when cable TV is 15 dollars a month and gives you more hours of entertainment?

Because I can justify a purchase of an 8 hour game if I had a great time playing it. It's a good length, long enough to where I feel I got my money's worth, short enough so it doesn't feel like the developers padded the game out with bullshit segments. That's the difference between you and I. You think a game has to have replay value to justify the price tag. I don't. I look at games as entertainment investments. But I don't support myself according to you so I shouldn't be dropping all this cash on video games KI clearly can't afford. I never said I don't go back and play games I bought and beat once. I just said I don't invest 300 hours into them, no matter how long I own them for. And certainly not games that came out less than two years ago.

Are you seriously comparing cable television to video games? And I dunno what prices are in Canada, but cable television here costs, on average, more than a 60 dollar video game. Especially with all the packages and movie channels and whatnot.

Quote:
That's the difference between a good game and a bad game. A game's purpose is to entertain, and how the fuck is it able to do that, how can you ever claim it did, if it can't make you want to pick it back up?
A movie's purpose is to entertain. As is a books. After I read a book I don't want to pick it back up. After I watch a movie I don't want to watch it again. After I play a game I don't want to play it again. Will I watch a movie more than once? Yeah, sure. Will I read a book more than once? If it's a really good book. Will I play a game more than once? Sometimes. But I often have plenty of other games to play. And I certainly don't have time to invest 300 hours in them over a period of ten years. There are varying degrees of entertainment. You're stuck on the idea that a game NEEDS to have some kind of replay value for it to constitute being a good game or good entertainment. I can play a game like Modern Warfare 2, finish the campaign in five hours and be entertained. Does the fact that I don't want to play the campaign again make it a bad game? Not at all. I can burn through No More Heroes in 12 hours. Does the fact that I have no desire to play it again make it a bad game? Bad entertainment? Not at all. A game can be great and entertaining and still not make you want to jump back in. Uncharted 2 is a great game. When I finished it was I raring to go again? No, because I was satisfied with the journey I had been on. His Girl Friday is my second favorite movie ever made. How many times have I seen it? One. But I remember it vividly. I don't need to continuously watch it to know it's my second favorite movie ever. I've played through Uncharted 2 once and I still remember everything about it. I don't need to play it again to reaffirm my love of that game.

Quote:
That's why I consider FFIV to be a better game than FFVI; IV, I've beat literally hundreds of times over the years, whereas with VI, I could only bring myself to beat it 5 times. On the SNES, which had 4 save files for my sister and I to share, I had two. My far file and my early file. When my early file caught up to my far file, I'd make a new early file.
Well I consider FF10 to be better than all of those. I've played through FF10 once. I've played FF9 at least four times, but I still consider FF10 to be better. Your ideal of replay value in a game is clearly going to skew your opinions of games.



Quote:
How the hell do you figure that? Please share your so called logic with me since I call bullshit! A game is a much smaller time investment once you know it and can beat it faster! I could name a ton of games that had the total playtime shaved down by over 80% from file 1 to file 10, simply from the skill and tricks I picked up from playing. Again, you are just being difficult.
It's still a larger time investment than watching your favorite movie. You essentially proved my point when you say that over the course of 9 seperate playthroughs you shaved over 80% off the total. But it took 9 other plays to shave that much off. So tell me how that is somehow less of a time investment than watching your favorite movie. Most movies have a runtime of an hour and forty five minutes to two hours. Some are longer, yeah, but that's not the point. I was directly comparing a game like Batman Arkham Asylum to rewatching a movie. Batman is a larger investment time wise. So is whatever games you're thinking of when you play them 10 times and beat them 80% quicker. I'll still be able to watch Dances with Wolves in the time it takes you to finish the 11th playthrough.


Quote:
You know, I'm not even going to bother continuing with this. All I have to say is, if you don't like my post, then stop singling out comments like 300 hours and making a big deal about it. Sometimes you need to be on the receiving end to realize "damn, I'm being an asshole about this" and hey, you ever heard of the golden rule? "Treat others the way you want to be treated?" Well isn't that a bitch that I'm encouraging people to follow it by returning their tone.

Your ENTIRE POINT is that for a game to be good it needs replay value. My point is that this isn't the case. I'm not the one being difficult here. You are. The fact that you were willing to dismiss Uncharted 2 because you couldn't see how it could be a good game because it had no replay value proves this. I wasn't even being an asshole here. YOU were. Which just fills your post with irony. The biggest of all being that you tell me to stop singling your posts out when this whole thing started because of you doing the same to me. You don't have to like me, but don't act like you're superior to me. Because at the end of the day, I'm not the one that needs to spend 300 hours with a game to justify its value as entertainment.


Quote:
Dood it was spread out over the course of 2 years, 3 100% playthroughs, and quite possibly several sessions of me forgetting the console was on.
Also this is impossible because Fallout 3 has not been out for two years.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.

Last edited by Don Chipotle; 02-06-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #20
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince
 
Yvlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
(4954 days)
Location: Cy
Age: 30
Posts: 17,387
Threads: 1765
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Saph, I can take care of my own arguments, thank you. So please stop being so antagonistic.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Page generated in 0.31248 seconds (97.14% PHP - 2.86% MySQL) with 12 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.