Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > General Gaming

Notices

General Gaming For the discussion of games from Atari to Zynga.

Old 05-25-2005   #1
Hobo Moderator
Kaffee
Urban Legend

(6547 days)
Threads: 2777
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: 40 is the new 20....maybe not
Time spent on board:
1 month 1 week 4 day

Kaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Kaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKaffee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Kaffee Send a message via Yahoo to Kaffee
RPGs of today compared to the Old School RPGs

How do the stack up in your opinion? Have the gotten better, storywise, gameplaywise, ect, ect.? I know the graphics are better and all that, but do you find yourself going back to old school to be nostalgic?

"Be regular and orderly in your life, that you may be violent and original in your work."
Clive Barker
Kaffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #2
idgaf rpgfan
The Dragon Lord

(6494 days)
Threads: 46
Mood: uhh.....sure, whatever
Time spent on board:
1 week 6 day 4 hour

idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!
idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!idgaf rpgfan is a star, a bright shining star!
Send a message via AIM to idgaf rpgfan Send a message via Yahoo to idgaf rpgfan
I like the new ones but I still go back to the old ones, the D&D goldbox still get my yime every now and then.

]There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsavior
If your deity ain't f*&^ing you....why are you waiting for him to come?
^^I don't know where you got it but that one is worth repeating^^
idgaf rpgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #3
Site Owner and God-Admin
Lancet Jades
The Epochal Avatar

(6624 days)
Threads: 1789
Style: Evening Sky
Mood: Who did the what now?
Time spent on board:
1 year 2 month 3 week 4 day

Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Lancet Jades Send a message via MSN to Lancet Jades Send a message via Yahoo to Lancet Jades
RPGs now have nothing on old-school RPGs. FF4/6, Lufia, Earthbound, Secret of mana, BoF1/2...and so much more.

Those old RPGs just have too much lasting power compared to today's games
Old 05-25-2005   #4
Leknaat
The Executor of Balance

(6577 days)
Threads: 180
Mood: Hee hee
Time spent on board:
1 week 2 day 13 hour

Leknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Leknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanityLeknaat is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via Yahoo to Leknaat
I find myself going back to old school games but to be quite honest, my top games list is now being overrun with Playstation 1 and 2 games.
Old 05-25-2005   #5
Administrator Overlord
Zelphiel
恐がる

(6627 days)
Threads: 1285
Style: Darkfire
Mood: O.o;;
Time spent on board:
1 month 1 week 6 day

Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...
Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...Zelphiel does not exist...
Send a message via AIM to Zelphiel Send a message via Yahoo to Zelphiel
I think they stack up about the same in a lot of areas. The only reason I'm so biased towards the old games is the nostalgia and attachment I have to them.
Old 05-25-2005   #6
Miles
Ewigkämpfer

(6473 days)
Threads: 578
Style: Event Horizon
Time spent on board:
5 month 2 week 1 day

Miles is on the border of good and evil
I guess old one's are better in alot of ways. Though, I never played any RPG's when I was younger...My love them started 6 years ago. Before then I loved Mario games and nothing else...So I guess, what was out around the time I got into them, yes. The one game that I go back to and finish at least once a year is Grandia...I think that's the only old game that I keep going back to, besides FFVII.
I mean, the new games are good and all...But unless they make another game that takes at least 100 hours to finish...I'll never be as happy as I am with the older games I play.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #7
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little
I'm here to fertilise some eggs

(6582 days)
Threads: 181
Style: Casual Friday
Mood: Anyone got a gun?
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
really neweer games are spawns of older games concepts and elaborated because now you have more space.

The gameplay is more smoother now then in older games but in older games it feels more connected, which is attributed to the push for a non-linear approach to games. Graphics is a no brainer as far as eye candy, Storyline is debatable as that really depends on the people who write the stuff, and interactivity has increased within each gaming generation, since more buttons and whatnot has been added.

So really both are good and crap at the same time.
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #8
Gravity
Ex - Cookie Mod

(6447 days)
Threads: 367
Mood: Cookies? :3
Time spent on board:
2 week 0 day 1 hour

Gravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Gravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanityGravity is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via MSN to Gravity
I like the new school RPGs just a bit more than the old school ones.
Old 05-25-2005   #9
The Deity
Combat Extraordinaire

(6359 days)
Threads: 538
Style: Darkfire
Mood: Pissed
Time spent on board:
1 month 1 week 5 day

The Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to all
The Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to allThe Deity is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to The Deity
I'm more on the new age side of the RPG business.

I think that battle systems have gotten better in my mind for the most part--or have at least remained the same.

I think that characters have become a lot more interesting and able to relate to now (which I know most of you will disagree with). I suppose a lot of that a part of that likely has to do with the umped graphics and use of voices.

I think that the stories of games haven't declined really, or at least not as much as most people seem to think. I personally feel that Final Fantasy X has the best story in the entire genre.

I find replay value to be better with the current group of games as well. I've played Final Fantasy VI twice now and quite honestly I doubt I'll ever play it again. Also the incorperation of New Game + is a large bonus for current games.

I feel like RPGs have stolen some much need Action/Adventure elements as of late to keep them fast paced. Are they as nostalgic? No. Do I think that's a bad thing? No, they're nostalgic for a reason.

To Live a Thousand Years
The Deity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #10
Pinkie Pie
Rum Raisin~

(6579 days)
Threads: 259
Style: Girl Power
Time spent on board:
2 month 2 week 2 day

Pinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Pinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanityPinkie Pie is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via Skype™ to Pinkie Pie
Old school, definately. Too many of the newer games seem to think that graphics take priority over other aspects of the game, unfortunately. Not all of them, but enough of them to make me enjoy the older games more.

Square especially seems to be wobbling back and forth between games that are really good and enjoyable, and games that are just kinda "meh".

Then again, I seem to have a definate bias against 3D RPGs... *shrugs*