Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > General Gaming

Notices

General Gaming For the discussion of games from Atari to Zynga.

Old 02-28-2012   #1
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4145 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
You guys need to play SEX

Today marked the release of SSX, the new game in the SSX franchise. SSX marks a revival and also a revamp of the insanely fun, always crazy arcade-style snowboarding game that had a home on the PS2 (honestly, who played them on the Xbox or Gamecube, hahahhaha). The series was largely absent after the mediocre SSX On Tour (we are not counting Blur). On Tour came out in 2005. That is roughly 12 years without an entry in the franchise. But now a new entry has been released.

And it is nothing short of fantastic.

SSX has always been about doing crazy things while going really fast. Nowhere was this more apparent than in SSX 3 and the Tokyo Pinball course in SSX Tricky and in SSX, the speed and crazy has been taken up to 11. The very first thing you do in the game is jump out of a helicopter at 8,000 feet while music plays (for me it was Young Blood by The Naked and Famous, which was oddly fitting) and the game teaches you how to do the crazy things. All the while you are just free falling. And then you land and are tasked with racing down a mountain at insane speeds while you do insane, impossible tricks. And it is fun.

The controls are responsive and you have different options in how you want to pull off the tricks. Personally, I like using the buttons over the right stick because I am faster on button combos than I am at moving the right stick. No matter how you choose to play it, you will quickly find yourself treating inputs like they were second nature. An example: I started a course just mashing buttons. I ended with a score of 2 million points. I did the same course only this time I decided to vary my inputs and actually do different movies and walked away with an 8 million point score. It is easy to play but difficult to really master, but so rewarding when you do. Anyone can have fun zooming down a mountain, but there's nothing quite like zooming down a mountain while trying to beat your rival's score of 52 million points and then finally doing it, only to have him post a 60 million point score.

That is essentially what the multiplayer is. There's no real head to head mode, no lobbies or anything. Instead there's global events filled with ghosts of real players who are playing at the same time. The scoreboard is constantly changing and evolving. It is a lot like Trackmania in that regard. I am sorry if you do not get that reference. You can also register rivals and post challenges for others to accomplish. It may not be the same as racing people directly or something, but it provides insane replay value and longevity because people will always be posting insane new times and points.

If there is anything bad about it it is the new feature: Survival Runs. The game boasts something called Deadly Descents where the object is to get to the bottom without dying.

Oh yeah, you can fucking die in the game.

Anyway, these events are not great and mostly revolve around repeated trial and error. The different survival modes revolve around dealing with hazards like ice and rocks and trees and gravity. You deal with these by getting different gear like ice picks that let you steer more tightly on ice or body armor so you don't die when you run headfirst into a tree. The problem is that these courses aren't all that fun to play. Such as the one where you have to navigate in a white out blizzard. If you go off the wrong path, welp, you're dead. The vision goggles you get don't do a whole lot to help. It becomes basic memorization and not the good kind.

There is also a really fuckin silly story mode but it's more an excuse to get you familiar with the different characters and the different events that make up the meatier modes. Besides, there are only four acceptable characters anyway: Zoe, Kaori, Mac, and Alex. I will also accept Psymon.

The music is also super great. Yes, there is dubstep in it. No this is not a bad thing. The game uses music brilliantly. When you're in the air, the music will fade out and once you slam back down to earth the music will continue, blaring depending on how big your combo was. When you are in Uber Tricky mode (you start to glow and can do UBER TRICKS) the music becomes a sweet remix of It's Tricky and the bass will explode so hard when you land an UBER TRICK that THE ENTIRE MOUNTAIN WILL REACT AND CREATE LITTLE MINI JUMPS IN FRONT OF YOU. Really great sound design all around, as a matter of fact.

"But Droog, this is a sports game and all those suck blah blah blah"

No, fuck you. SSX is a fantastic game that can be played by anyone. And in fact SHOULD be played by everyone.

SSX is already looking to be one of the best games of 2012.

Yes, I feel comfortable saying that.

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #2
Kurbee
Dur Almightah

(5231 days)
Threads: 476
Style: Smoke
Mood: Pink
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 2 day

Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Kurbee Send a message via MSN to Kurbee Send a message via Yahoo to Kurbee
I've been playing this game since around 11:00 AM today. It's so much fun, and great if you're the competitive type.

*back to SSX*
Old 02-28-2012   #3
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(4983 days)
Threads: 1765
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Who the fuck counts this as a sports game. Not me.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #4
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4145 days)
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Some idiots out there call it a sports game because snowboarding. It's like calling Tony Hawk a sports game.

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Old 03-03-2012   #5
Spud Webb
Ciroc Obama

(3973 days)
Threads: 23
Style: Girl Power
Mood: Is handsome a mood
Time spent on board:
6 day 12 hour 39 min

Spud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimen
Spud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimenSpud Webb is a magnificent specimen
Send a message via AIM to Spud Webb
man, i read about this in some magazines a while back but had no idea it was out now so i blame that on shitty advertising or my blindness or something. cool. i loved ssx 3 and i played as the small white boy, is he in this

"Evermore Hottest Maln"

I put the mac in aroni
Spud Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #6
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4145 days)
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Griff? Yeah. He just isn't small any more

Old 03-03-2012   #7
Kurbee
Dur Almightah

(5231 days)
Threads: 476
Style: Smoke
Mood: Pink
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 2 day

Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Kurbee Send a message via MSN to Kurbee Send a message via Yahoo to Kurbee
I'm still in the process of dominating every score on my friends list.
Old 03-03-2012   #8
Site Owner and God-Admin
Lancet Jades
The Epochal Avatar

(5433 days)
Threads: 1785
Style: Evening Sky
Mood: Who did the what now?
Time spent on board:
1 year 2 month 2 week 5 day

Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Lancet Jades Send a message via MSN to Lancet Jades Send a message via Yahoo to Lancet Jades
You all DO realize I changed SSX in the title to SEX, correct? Just checking.
Old 03-03-2012   #9
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4145 days)
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Yes, but we kind of just ignore you.

Old 03-04-2012   #10
Spud Webb
Ciroc Obama

(3973 days)
Threads: 23
Style: Girl Power
Mood: Is handsome a mood
Time spent on board:
6 day 12 hour 39 min

Send a message via AIM to Spud Webb
what is sex

"Evermore Hottest Maln"

I put the mac in aroni
Spud Webb is offline   Reply With Quote