Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > General Gaming

Notices

General Gaming For the discussion of games from Atari to Zynga.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013   #1
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(4916 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 30
Posts: 11,820
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Hey, Yvl, answer this for me.

What's up with that blue haired broad in your sig. I guess she is some League of Legends thing but why is the internet all aflutter like she is the hot shit video game lady. People are dropping their tongues and their pants are being shat and I want you to tell me why.

In detail.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #2
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince
 
Yvlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
(5755 days)
Location: Cy
Age: 33
Posts: 17,389
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/node/7274

The awesomeness of the music video (which is only the second cinematic they've produced) aside, she's one of the most interesting characters in the game, and she was just released. She's a psychotic, "Chaotic Neutral" type, and it shows in her playstyle (She goes berserk whenever she kills an enemy, and mowing down champion after champion brings a beautiful sadistic glee that suits the character well). And I personally like the contrast between her and her rival, the reformed, badass, no nonsense Vi. Her popularity may also have to do with the fact she's a Marksman, which are seriously underrepresented in the roster right now. On top of that, she's probably overtuned right now, right after her release, so she's top tier.

But really, the main draw is that she's Overly Attached Girlfriend mixed with the Joker mixed with Borderlands. A psychopath with a sense of humor that has a huge arsenal of guns that's fun to play, that you kinda wanna screw but are still pretty sure she'd murder you in your sleep, but it's still kinda almost worth it.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #3
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(4916 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 30
Posts: 11,820
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
But really, the main draw is that she's Overly Attached Girlfriend mixed with the Joker mixed with Borderlands.

This sounds like the worst thing. This is just Gaige (or Captain Scarlett). Except Gaige is underage but that doesn't matter in Borderlands. Add slutty to the mix and you have Mad Moxxie.

Jinx sings about anarchy right? That is literally Gaige. Gaige is all about anarchy and blowing shit up and killing things. Granted Gaige is all about doing that with a robot death machine, but she's all about anarchy and chaos. She has a whole skill dedicated to it called Anarchy. It's based around doing more damage every time you kill someone or empty a clip. Her Ordered Chaos tree is based around shooting bullets everywhere and laughing and killing things, making bullets ricochet, blowing things up by shooting people while in the air and not giving a fuck about your health because you are dancing in the shield recharging blood of your enemies.

I don't get it.

What makes her unique from other character of the type?

I'm curious.

I'm not slamming the game or its players for liking her, I'm curious as to her appeal and it sounds like she'd fit more in Borderlands than in anything else. Squeeze her in right next to the other three playable ladies and she's basically sounding like a female Salvador. Mixed with Gaige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
that you kinda wanna screw but are still pretty sure she'd murder you in your sleep, but it's still kinda almost worth it.
This is how I feel about every woman.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.

Last edited by Don Chipotle; 10-22-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #4
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince
 
Yvlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
(5755 days)
Location: Cy
Age: 33
Posts: 17,389
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Jinx's personality is more psychopathic than Gaige's. Gaige was pretty tame, all things considered, but Jinx is overflowing with psychopathic energy, and that lends itself very well to a PVP game. The reason I brought up Borderlands is because of her arsenal. She's got the tools to keep the player in a state of psychotic energy throughout the game, which is kinda the opposite of Gaige's "YOU CAN ONLY EVER HIT THINGS WITH SHOTGUNS OR MACHINE GUNS" Anarchy bullshit that made her feel constricted.

The thing about LoL is that each champion feels exactly like how they act. For example, if you're playing the power-hungry villain in the game, you're spending way too much time torturing minions to see the bigger picture, just like the champion. When you're playing the psychotic loose cannon, you really FEEL like it, and it REALLY unleashes your inner sadist, which is something few games pull off. I didn't get that at ALL from Gaige, but I hated Gaige pretty hard regardless. Fuck that overpowered fun-killing death robot.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #5
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(4916 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 30
Posts: 11,820
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
Jinx's personality is more psychopathic than Gaige's. Gaige was pretty tame, all things considered, but Jinx is overflowing with psychopathic energy, and that lends itself very well to a PVP game. The reason I brought up Borderlands is because of her arsenal. She's got the tools to keep the player in a state of psychotic energy throughout the game, which is kinda the opposite of Gaige's "YOU CAN ONLY EVER HIT THINGS WITH SHOTGUNS OR MACHINE GUNS" Anarchy bullshit that made her feel constricted.
You could use literally any gun with Gaige and hit things. You're better off using lower clipped weapons with her because you stack anarchy faster. Machine guns and loss of accuracy is just spray and pray and you're doing it wrong when you have two hundred stacks. Gaige and Kreig are both pretty psychotic though in different ways. Krieg has dissociative identity disorder and enjoys killing things, but only bad things or else the voice in his head will kill both of them. Gaige, when she isn't spouting off things like "LAWL" and "GG" and other internet things that annoy me and also make me hate Anthony Burch, she is literally going off on how full of bloodlust she is. She starts laughing manically and getting all god-complex as you stack up anarchy until she is just a sixteen year old fountain of pure rage, bloodlust, and murdering. She takes glee in knowing that her robot 'accidentally' brutally slaughtered her rival and a bunch of security cops and considers it justification for taking third place in the science fair instead of first. She also has the highest bounty of any of the playable characters from both games, even more than the guy who has a bounty for cannibalism, public indecency, and manslaughter (and he's just the fourth highest bounty even).

Gaige is far from tame. She is the most psychotic of the playable cast, and the cast is pretty much made up of psychopaths. She's only tame in the sense that the game wants to be comedic and so fills her quotes with bad lines and references to other things. (I mean, for fuck's sake the psycho Krieg quotes fucking Dr. Who just because the head writer is a massive Dr. Who fan). The only one more psycho is probably Tiny Tina but she is annoying in the worst ways so fuck her and the nepotism that got her in the game.

Gaige is a character who decided to cut off her arm when she accidentally cut it. Rather than heal it she just cut it off with her dad's table saw. She's fucking crazy and built a giant robot to fight bullies and then decided to convert into a death machine because that's what evil scientists do.

Gaige is a fucking psychopath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaige
Okay, anyway, Marcie started gloating. She started pointing and laughing at me, and then she... pushed me. It's - ok that's when things got... messy. Deathtrap recognized Marcie as a threat, so he gave her a quick slash with his digistruct claws. No big deal. That's what it's supposed to do!

*Inhales*

And I must have miscalibrated... them last night when I was... adding the discord circuits... 'cause the second his claws touched Marcie's skin she kind of... like... um... Okay, she exploded! She's like... EVERYWHERE!

I'm being expelled AND arrested for what Deathtrap did to Marcie, and Marcie is not getting any sort of recourse for what she did to me, which was a serious shove, and I am traumatized because, ehhh...

*Deep breath*

*Laughs*

Maybe here my talents will actually be appreciated and I won't go to jail for being brilliant. Third place. I mean, seriously! Bastards.
She's not disturbed by the fact that she caused a girl to explode into blood and guts. She's disturbed because she didn't win the science fair for making a girl explode into blood and guts. She's crazy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
but I hated Gaige pretty hard regardless. Fuck that overpowered fun-killing death robot.

Everyone in Borderlands 2 is overpowered. That's the point. Hell, in Borderlands 1 you could make it so Lilith could replenish her special ability while using it which essentially broke the game. And that's before getting into all the other bits that break the game even more. Gaige is the best character to play as in Borderlands 2 and if you're speccing into the Anarchy class you hardly ever need the robot. Gaige is both the easiest character to use and the hardest based on how the player techs her. Also you could summon your robot in the last area of the main game and level up because the robot would kill the always respawning bird things and never go away. Gaige is the best kind of broken. She's the best Borderlands character.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.

Last edited by Don Chipotle; 10-22-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #6
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince
 
Yvlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
(5755 days)
Location: Cy
Age: 33
Posts: 17,389
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
Well I've told you why I like her. If she was just the character she is in any other game, Jinx would be just a normal, albeit good character. The fact that most of LoL's roster is pretty tame and serious gives Jinx a HUGE contrast, in addition to the fact she's a good Marksman, and the last time they released a good Marksman it was Draven, who just won the GameFAQs character battle. That's probably the root behind her following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapplecrack View Post
Everyone in Borderlands 2 is overpowered.
I mean relative to other characters - they're badass, but not broken, not from the start at least. But you literally do not have to play the game as Gaige, just push RB and you're set. I've cleared an area entirely by standing in freezing water and dying repeatedly while Deathtrap clears the area for me and gives me second winds the second I drop. Zero skill is required for Deathtrap, he just is a "I win" button. You say you don't "need" him, but as the best and easiest possible solution to most situations it's everything else you don't "need." And the fact it's like this to start, not after dumping tons of points into trees, means that you're essentially done with the game before you've even played it as soon as you load her up. Which would be one thing, but the fact she's a DLC character means that she's a "pay to win" character. So fuck her and fuck Gearbox for even putting her in the game as broken as she is.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #7
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube
 
Don Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
(4916 days)
Location: Ponyville
Age: 30
Posts: 11,820
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
And the fact it's like this to start, not after dumping tons of points into trees, means that you're essentially done with the game before you've even played it as soon as you load her up
This is not true. Until you actually spec into the Deathtrap specific tree he only has a limited amount of time. You have to be at least level 16 if you stick to the one tree to get the benefits of "kill dudes = more time". And even then it isn't all that useful until you actually start getting boosts to his abilities/buff his health/get new ways for him to kill people which you can only start getting at level 21. And then if you want the full effect, you have to start teching into a different tree for more Deathtrap killing abilities and by that point you're probably almost to the end of the game anyway. It actually takes smart investment of points to turn Deathtrap into the 'easy mode'. But the same effort can be made to make Maya able to control and wipe out an entire encampment in seconds and stunlock elite enemies anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
I mean relative to other characters - they're badass, but not broken, not from the start at least.
Phaselock is pretty broken and only gets more so the more you invest in the trees. I didn't bother with the other three characters because why would you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
You say you don't "need" him, but as the best and easiest possible solution to most situations it's everything else you don't "need."
This is subjective. I found in my time with Gaige (in that I beat the game as her, solo, and played the first two DLCs with her) better spent stacking up anarchy and killing things before they ever had a chance of killing me. You rack up criticals and kills because your bullets literally start flying everywhere, and not due to accuracy loss but because bullets ricochet all over the place. I only ever used Deathtrap in the instances where I was about to go down so he could get a quick kill so I could get up without losing all my anarchy stacks.

You and I played Gaige differently. I used Deathtrap as a savior, popping him out before I died. I didn't treat Gaige as a true pet class.

See that's the beauty of it. Gaige is a viable character no matter what you decide to focus on. She was designed to be both the easiest class and the hardest class. There was a whole stink about it because I believe Gearbox said Gaige was a character who had a "girlfriend mode" tree.

But really, in Borderlands if you're not ridiculously overpowered by the end of the game then you did something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
Which would be one thing, but the fact she's a DLC character means that she's a "pay to win" character.
Psssh, I got her for free.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
So fuck her and fuck Gearbox for even putting her in the game as broken as she is.
I agree with the fuck Gearbox part of this, but not for the reason you gave. Fuck Gearbox.

I thought you would've liked Gaige and all her MLP references. I know I sure did love those references and didn't at all think that naming a skill '20% Cooler' only makes sense if the skill actually increases something by twenty fucking percent and I know I didn't spend some time badmouthing Anthony Burch on various websites because of this and other things involving his involvement in Borderlands 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvl View Post
If she was just the character she is in any other game, Jinx would be just a normal, albeit good character. The fact that most of LoL's roster is pretty tame and serious gives Jinx a HUGE contrast
Oh, okay. That explains it better. She's like Trevor from GTA 5 where people like him because he is the embodiment of the typical GTA player, even though as a character he leaves much to be desired and in any other game he'd be criticized by everyone who works in the games industry instead of those who are taking up the battle against misogyny in games.

I still don't get the appeal of games like LoL (and that's on me. It just doesn't appeal to me, it ain't the kind of game I want to play. Nothin' against those that do or whatever) (Also I totally understand the appeal of games like LoL) but at least I think I understand why there is so much hype around this blue haired person.

I was going to ask you about all the people posting about how attractive she is but then I remembered this is the internet and that is said about every character who is female.
__________________


How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.

Last edited by Don Chipotle; 10-22-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:07 PM.

Page generated in 0.27280 seconds (96.92% PHP - 3.08% MySQL) with 12 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.