Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > Game Reviews

Notices

Game Reviews Post and discuss game reviews here, whether professional or amateur. Remember to link to the source when posting others' reviews!

Old 03-28-2012   #1
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(4637 days)
Threads: 315
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
Saph Tries: Nintendo 3DS (Kid Icarus Uprising)

After my experience with the 3DS, I wanted to give my opinions on it. The 3DS takes a lot of flak for things like "the sweet spot" and the like. I have a reputation for being a terrible nitpicker. I'm here to share my own experience. Because fuck other people, everyone should try it themselves instead of taking others at their word.

The 3D Effect

When I heard it used Parallax Barrier technology, or whatever it's called, I initially misunderstood. I thought it somehow used the touch screen and top screen together to make an image between the two, and I wondered how one would use the touch screen like that. This was silly of me.

What really happens is the REVERSE of what I thought. The image doesn't jump out at you... it looks like it SINKS into the screen. It's like... the backdrop is one wall, your screen is the other, and the 3D is between the two. I really can't explain it. It's like... you can see the depth, but it's not the usual 3D that comes out of the screen with glasses. This may sound weird, but the effect is stunning. It looks genuinely good, and the effect is phenomenal, at least in Kid Icarus (the only actual retail game I was able to try, but I did try 2 demos that also looked good.)

This brings me to my next point: The dreaded sweet spot. My god, people say I nitpick? ME? My worst rants have nothing on the arrogance behind the sweet spot hate!

You have a goddamn 30-or-so degree leeway (at the distance you'd ideally be holding it when sitting down, this is amazingly lenient) before the 3D effect even STARTS to not work (where the game is still reasonably visible so you could probably continue to play while re-angling), and the distance it works best at is perfectly natural for a longtime handheld gamer like myself. Kid Icarus is stylus heavy, which means the 3DS moving a fair bit, and I never ONCE lost the sweet spot except when I was testing how far I can move it! I mean freaking seriously, what the hell is wrong with people, was this seriously just another hate bandwagon like the retarded "wii remote broke my TV" arguments!?

All things considered, as far as innovation goes, Nintendo still has it. Their use of 3D is absolutely wonderful. I can see it being little more an an annoying gimmick in many games, but when a game is built to capitalize on it from the ground up, the end result is amazing.

Button Layout

This is where my complaints are.

Compared to the DS Lite, the POWER BUTTON is where START used to be. Imagine the frustration while trying to adapt to this.

The stick is well placed, but the D-Pad (DS Lite style, which IMO, is terrible for intense gameplay) isn't. I really freaking hope that original DS games work with the stick!(It might actually make some abhorrent DS control schemes work... ever played Mario64DS on a DS Lite? OH GOD WHY. I need to see if the stick works for that.)

The Volume is on the opposite side from before, and the stylus is on top next to the game. The stylus can be extended in length via an umbrella-like mechanism where a slimmer part slides out, but doing so makes it feel really flimsy.

All in all... You could get used to it, but after the DS Lite, it's like, what the hell, man? I secpecially don't like the stylus being right next to the game. Imagine being pretty tired and accidentally popping the game out at a bad time.

The game itself

Kid Icarus Uprising, while fun, is clearly, based on controls, NOT so much for fans of the original, but more to appeal to more action oriented gamers who used Pit in Smash Bros. And the best way I can describe it... is... A THIRD PERSON SHOOTER, WHAT? I mean, it's not bad... just... WHAT?

The chapters are divided into 2 or more segments, each having one of two types. Flight or ground. One of which is awesome as hell. The other needs an overhaul.

In Flight Stages, Palutena grants pit 5 minutes of flight before his wings burn up. She guides his flight path (leading to things like him shooting at enemies behind him, KH2 Gummi Ship Style, without worrying about his front since she won't let him crash) and it's essentially a glorified Rail Shooter slash Flightsim. (Imagine Star Fox with a gun you can angle without repositioning the arwing. Like, you're in the upper left corner, and some independant turret, like the Millenium Falcon's Quad Guns, is shooting the lower right corner.) You use the stick to move and use the stylus to move the cursor (by default.) L is shoot.

Ground Stages? Shooter style, stick is move, stylus is freelook. It's the kind of control that makes me weep for the DS. It'd be one thing if you were fixated on a specific angle, and could move and shoot like in flight stages, but it feels awkward and clunky, and I can't describe it as anything else but an obsession with shoehorning in stylus controls wherever they can possibly fit, which has plaged all the worst DS games I ever played. I mean, would it have killed them to let a button lock your view so you're not spinning in circles while aiming, for example? (Not exactly spinning, but it doesn't exactly control too smoothly)

(Spiderman 3 on the DS? You ATTACKED with the touch screen. Draw a line for a straight punch, etc. WHILE YOU'RE BEING SHOT AT.)

Kid Icarus has it's heart in the right place, but at times, makes me wonder who the fuck decided on some things. At times, you need to look at the bottom screen so you can see things (Example: Pit reminiscing about a boss he once fought - you see their classic 8-bit look on the bottom screen) BUT YOU'RE STILL BEING SHOT ON THE TOP SCREEN! You NEED to play with the volume on high for voices since all the text is on the bottom screen, and you will die if you stop to read it. NO story is given outside of missions, so it's especially jarring and frustrating.

On the topic of the voices, though... I guess they're not bad. I especially love some of the banter. Palutena is quite snarky and loves teasing Pit. For example, in chapter 2, she tricks him into thinking she can read his heart and warns him to never think of anything naughty (to which Pit freaks out at.) Even the bosses themselves can have funny banter at times, like a three headed dragon arguing with itself about wanting to go home and watch it's TV shows.

All things considered, I guess I could see myself getting it once I get my own 3DS. I'm sure that a lot of my issues are just the "wait what" of it not being the platformer I was anticipating.

Closing thoughts

Next time someone brings up any hate for the 3DS sweet spot, I will tear them a new one. The 3DS is genuinely good. I can't wait to see their expanding library of titles!
Old 03-28-2012   #2
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4111 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Kid Icarus fuckin owns and it is the best game on the 3DS and also it makes an irrelevant franchise relevant. It also is funny.

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #3
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(4950 days)
Threads: 1765
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
They put an ad for this in this month's Gameinformer, and it was on a thicker page than the rest of the magazine which made it so that it always opens to that ad every time. I even ripped out the ad and it still always opens to that page. Worst game of the year, Nintendo needs to fuckin learn its market better

0/10
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #4
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(4111 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
Yo that ad had a sick ass AR Card

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #5
Asshole Mod
Chicken Little
I'm here to fertilise some eggs

(5358 days)
Threads: 181
Style: Casual Friday
Mood: Anyone got a gun?
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 3 day

Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Chicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanityChicken Little is a brilliant tribute to humanity
...our stores have those stupid tags in front of titles with "playable in 2D" on them, we steal them and tear them int he bin outside out of respect that stupid people should buy a fucking 3DS to not immediately void the fucking 3D on it.

That being said, I'll be waiting until Fire Emblem gets localised and then probably pick the game up and the console up years later.
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote