Evermore Forums  

Go Back   Evermore Forums > Gaming Sector > Game Reviews

Notices

Game Reviews Post and discuss game reviews here, whether professional or amateur. Remember to link to the source when posting others' reviews!

Old 11-10-2011   #1
Altima
Major Motoko Kusanagi

(6296 days)
Threads: 1532
Style: Smoke
Mood: I have no emotions
Time spent on board:
1 week 6 day 15 hour

Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Altima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanityAltima is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via MSN to Altima
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 review.

I found this review on Ign.com.

Link - http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1211872p1.html

Quote:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Review
Another year...and an even better Call of Duty.
November 8, 2011 November 8, 2011 November 8, 2011

by Anthony Gallegos

People love to hate it, but the Call of Duty franchise is successful for a reason. No other first-person shooter has the same flair for visual spectacle in its singleplayer campaign, and few can match its utterly addictive multiplayer. While Call of Duty games have become formulaic at this point, as evidenced by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3's muddled narrative and at times frustrating design, Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games have refined and polished the Modern Warfare experience to produce the best of the series with the third installment.

Modern Warfare 3 comes to us by way of an older engine, but still looks great. Sure, it's not among the very best out there nowadays, but it performs well. At any given time the screen appears ready to burst with effects and visual madness. Entire battles are waged before you; buildings burn and crumble while a steady flow of explosions batter your senses. This is Call of Duty, and Modern Warfare 3 collects these moments of boom in abundance, presenting them in all their 60 frames-per-second glory.

Modern Warfare 3's singleplayer campaign hits many of the same highs and lows as its predecessors. Amazing setpieces serve as backdrops for giant firefights yet again. This is no understatement. Few games retain the crazy roller coaster pace that this does level after level, with brief moments to breathe set between the next eruption of gunplay. The shooting feels extremely responsive and well-tuned, and the battlegrounds challenge your awareness at all times. You're always given different situations that mix-up the gameplay just enough to keep things interesting. The game presents a formidable challenge, as always, on the Hardened and Veteran settings – something that the more hardcore players will want to delve into.

Still, Modern Warfare 3's campaign suffers from a run of the mill story and the patented Call of Duty monster closet syndrome, a common shooter ailment that occurs when infinitely spawning enemies pour from around corners, doors and stairs without end. At several points enemies even appear to completely disregard their own safety if it means they can run past your allies and just shoot you in the face. The story is difficult to follow as usual, and while it does wrap up the arc begun by the previous Modern Warfare games, it isn't ultimately all that interesting or satisfying. Moments of emotional weight fell flat as I found it difficult to muster up feelings of sadness about the death of one named soldier after witnessing the countless deaths of hundreds of other Americans.

If singleplayer is good, then Modern Warfare 3's multiplayer is fantastic. Like the other Call of Duty games before it, this entry pulls you in with its persistent leveling system and frantic combat. All of the sixteen new maps are fun to play and, with a whole new slew of challenges to complete, rewards constantly pop up and keep you hooked with the next little endorphin rush. No matter whether I play for five minutes or five hours, multiplayer in Modern Warfare 3 always makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.

Some of the rewards you're constantly unlocking are killstreaks and perks—series stand-bys—which are a few great examples of how Modern Warfare 3 refines the series. You still unlock weapons by leveling up, but weapons also have levels as well. Leveling up a gun adds Weapon Proficiencies, which are essentially perks for your weapon. These proficiencies take things like the hip fire accuracy perk from the previous games and add it to your weapon unlocks, giving you the ability to focus on other perks when customizing your class.

Killstreaks have also been reworked into Strike Packages to bring a better sense of balance and reward to all types of players. You still unlock abilities in Strike Packages by getting kills, but now you can specialize your killstreak rewards so they suit your playstyle. If you're not the type who goes on huge streaks and you're not always watching your kill/death ratio, you can take a Support Strike Package. This package doesn't have rewards that are as offensively-focused as the Assault package, but all kills carry over between spawns. This gives less-skilled players a way to contribute to the fight, and will hopefully give clans and groups ways to better specialize their players into a cohesive team unit. It's a great new feature, and showcases how Call of Duty offers one of the most varied multiplayer shooter experiences around.

The controls feel as good as ever, and that same sense of exhilaration and speed that comes from a great round of multiplayer still exists. Like past Call of Duty games, occasional moments where one team totally dominates the other due to Assault Strike Package rewards still happen, but overall this remains a slight annoyance when weighed against the rest of the multiplayer package.

New modes like Kill Confirmed also help keep things from feeling like just more of the same. While lone-wolf players still have Team Deathmatch free-for-all and numerous other older modes, Kill Confirmed changes how the game plays, encouraging team work in ways Modern Warfare didn't previously offer. In this mode, everyone drops a dog tag when they're slain. To get points, you have to not only kill the person, but also collect their tag (you can deny kills by collecting the tags of your allies before the enemy does). The results in an entirely new dynamic, where players must coordinate, play as a team, and attempt to use the dog tags as lures for enemy players.

Combine Kill Confirmed with modes like Team Defender (where each team attempts to hold onto one flag for as long as they can), new private match modes (which you can tweak and customize yourself), as well as many returning favorites, and you have a multiplayer experience you can play for months—if not years—on end. The sixteen maps already span a wide array of settings. And with new modes and the need to switch up loadouts you have an extremely dynamic multiplayer suite. An especially tactics-focused player can sink hours of time into creating classes for specific game types, devising battle plans for specific maps, and developing sports like "plays" for their team.

On top of the single and multiplayer campaigns, extra time can be sunk into the cooperative Spec Ops mode. This mission mode from the previous Modern Warfare returns with a whole new set of stages that challenge you in a variety of ways. For instance, you might have to quickly take over a plane, while in another mission you'll be tasked with disarming chemical weapons or silently getting past a large number of enemies. Additionally there's a Survival Mode, where two players try to survive against endless waves of increasingly difficult enemies. It's not exactly original (or zombies), but it's a game type that works well in Call of Duty, and can be played over and over again if you care about getting to the top of those oh-so-precious leaderboards.

The menus and means to interface with Modern Warfare 3 are basically the same, well-laid out system we've seen before, with one major exception: Call of Duty Elite. Elite takes all the stats you care about, like your multiplayer kill/death ratio, etc., and puts it into a format you can easily understand and interact with (similar to what Bungie.net and Halo: Waypoint provides for Halo players). Whether or not you're paying for the more specialized services it offers, you can always check out your performance on past matches, see exactly where you were killed and who killed you, as well as compare load outs and performance like accuracy and flag captures. You can also just look at pictures of maps with all the information such as spawn points for various multiplayer game types, giving you the ability to think about strategies and planning – something that will be super valuable to clans. The sheer amount of available information makes Elite something I can spend far too much time with, and can definitely help you improve your game.

Closing Comments
Despite its flaws, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 takes the fantastic series we’ve come to love over the years and iterates on it with great success. The multiplayer is hands-down the best it has ever been, with more features, more modes and a ton of new levels and ways to interact via Call of Duty Elite. The singleplayer campaign and Spec Ops mode add value to the overall package, creating something that may not be perfect, but is too damn addicting to pass up.

IGN Ratings for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (X360)Rating

8.5 Presentation
Modern Warfare 3’s menus are laid out clearly and work well. The Elite functionality also adds a lot to competitive multiplayer players.

8.5 Graphics
Sure, the engine is dated, but the work that’s been done still creates scenes that are impressive to watch. And it always runs at 60 frames per second.

8.0 Sound
A lot has actually been done with the guns to make them sound like they have more weight. The voice acting is also well done, though I could stand for a bit less rockin’ guitars.

9.0 Gameplay
The campaign story has its failings, but fantastic set pieces nonetheless. The multiplayer is the best it’s ever been, and Spec Ops is also great fun.

9.5 Lasting Appeal
This is the Call of Duty players will be playing online for hours and hours thanks to its engrossing multiplayer experience. That is, until the next one comes out…

OVERALL Amazing
(out of 10)
I am giving this game a real chance, but so far I don't like it. I die like 30 times a match of headquarters and have a .66 K/D. I was a beast at Black Ops, but not at this yet.

The more arcade style of gameplay MW3 has as opposed to the simulation style Black Ops had is very different. I am tired of being quick scoped and the bullets not being near me. I hope some serious patches for some of the impossible kills come very soon.

Another article

I found this article on Ign.com as well.

Link - http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1212113p1.html

Quote:
MW3 Dev Begs for Help With Low Metacritic User Score
Sledgehammer Games' Glen Schofield takes to Twitter in response to hate.
Australia, November 9, 2011 November 10, 2011 November 10, 2011

by Luke Reilly
IGN AU

Sledgehammer Games' Glen Schofield has taken to Twitter to ask Call of Duty fans to support Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 on Metacritic.

"I don't usually do this but, if u like MW3 go 2 Metacritic.com & help our user score," writes Schofield. "It's suspiciously low. Be honest but help if u agree."

Modern Warfare 3 is attracting a torrent of user scores of zero across all three platforms. The current user score (out of 10) is 2.7 on Xbox 360, 2.0 on PS3 and 1.5 on PC.
I am not surprised by this, I actually am still thinking about trading the game in.

Last edited by Altima; 11-10-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #2
Snips
Baka gaijin desu!

(5974 days)
Threads: 315
Style: Blue Hatch
Mood: Butter Chicken
Time spent on board:
1 month 3 week 6 day

Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Snips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to allSnips is truly an inspiration to all
Send a message via AIM to Snips Send a message via MSN to Snips
What I understand by this is:

1) Visual oversaturation causes disorienting confusion that makes the game difficult to play. Also, they wrote about the lack of zombies like a bad thing!?

2) The people who worked on the game can't type worth shit. I may typo a lot but it's due to the failiures of a low quality wireless keyboard. That statement was just painful to read. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not as anti-shooter as people peg me for due to my love of niche titles. I have MW1 for the PC and enjoyed it. It's just that as a longtime gamer, recently I've been seeing a lot of recurring trends that I've become annoyed with, such as the aforementioned visual oversaturation. It leads to you being totally unable to keep an eye on the whole screen at once, turning seemingly mundane ordeals into cheap death generators.

I mean, if we take the (first mission in the game) ship mission in MW1 where it starts to sink while you're on it, for example... can you imagine if they combined that with a large scale run-and-gun firefight? The article saying things like "At any given time the screen appears ready to burst with effects and visual madness. Entire battles are waged before you; buildings burn and crumble while a steady flow of explosions batter your senses." and "Few games retain the crazy roller coaster pace that this does level after level, with brief moments to breathe set between the next eruption of gunplay. The shooting feels extremely responsive and well-tuned, and the battlegrounds challenge your awareness at all times." really makes me wonder if they're not trying to say "yes, that is the visual overaturation they were going for" and leave it at that.

If that really IS the case.... it's a very bad thing.

Of course, I'll refrain from officially passing judgment until I try it myself since I could just be misunderstanding the wording of an ineloquent man trying to sound educated. Sis's fiancee has it for the PS3. Next time I'm over I'll try a few levels just to see for myself.
Old 11-10-2011   #3
Pretentious Mod
Raistifer's little bitch
Yvlla
Our Sweet Prince

(6287 days)
Threads: 1766
Style: Ultima
Time spent on board:
7 month 0 week 4 day

Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Yvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanityYvlla is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Yvlla Send a message via MSN to Yvlla Send a message via Yahoo to Yvlla
I will admit that I gave MW3 a 2 on Metacritic. It was the right thing to do.
Yvlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #4
Don Chipotle
Aw shucks, sugar cube

(5448 days)
Threads: 1261
Style: Ocean Shoals
Time spent on board:
9 month 0 week 5 day

Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanityDon Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Don Chipotle is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Don Chipotle Send a message via Yahoo to Don Chipotle
MW3: Same Shit, Now Give Us Money

How dreamlike to see my x-sisters, outside the context of a Papa Song dome. They sang Papa Song’s Psalm, over and over; background hydraulics underbassed that sickening melody. But how jubilant they sounded! Their Investment was paid off. The voyage to Hawaii was under way, and their new life on Xultation would shortly begin... Watching them from the hangway, I envied their certainty about the future.
Don Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #5
sephiroth4eva
Destroyer of worlds

(6503 days)
Threads: 60
Mood: smiteful
Time spent on board:
1 week 2 day 7 hour

sephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanitysephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanitysephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanitysephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanitysephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanity
sephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanitysephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanitysephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanitysephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanitysephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanitysephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanitysephiroth4eva is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to sephiroth4eva
lol this was the first game of the modern warfare games that i played and my best friend got me hooked on it, so personally i dont hate it ... but then again i didnt play any of the other ones.

"It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury. ...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha ha ha. And at the center of that injury, will be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with all the energy of the Planet, I will become a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet...I will cease to exist as I am now...Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every soul."
sephiroth4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #6
Kurbee
Dur Almightah

(6534 days)
Threads: 476
Mood: Pink
Time spent on board:
1 month 2 week 2 day

Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Kurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanityKurbee is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Kurbee Send a message via MSN to Kurbee Send a message via Yahoo to Kurbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
MW3: Same Shit, Now Give Us Money
I played it at a friends house, and I can confirm this.
Although, Survival mode is pretty fun in co-op.
Kurbee is offline   Reply With Quote