Lancet Jades
The Epochal Avatar

(6624 days)
Threads: 1789
Style:
Mood: Who did the what now?
Time spent on board:
1 year 2 month 3 week 4 day

Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Lancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanityLancet Jades is a brilliant tribute to humanity
Send a message via AIM to Lancet Jades Send a message via MSN to Lancet Jades Send a message via Yahoo to Lancet Jades
Since it's been almost 9 years, let's revive this discussion and compare RPGs today with those made circa 2005, and then with the really "old-school" RPGs from the 90s (and possibly even 80s).

Contrary to Raist's thoughts, I still feel that constantly increasing graphical quality has not been kind to console RPGs as a whole, although I haven't played a great variety of console RPGs this past gen (even though there were plenty to play). One of the major ones was Tales of Vesperia, which didn't use realistic graphics and was all the better for it, in my opinion. And I still find myself going back to older systems for RPGs, especially the PS2 (not so much PS1 anymore, although that's more due to not getting the emulator up and running well on my newer computer). RPGs on handhelds seem to have prospered, but I also haven't played a huge number of those, either. Not that I don't like RPGs as much anymore, but I play a greater variety of genres now compared to a decade ago, so less overall time is devoted to RPGs.

EDIT: Having slept on it, I guess the modrn graphics aren't that much of a burden on a lot of RPGs, since they rarely go for truly cutting-edge graphics. Games like Dark Souls make a good compromise that utilize the graphical capability of that gen without focusing too much on graphics. I guess I'm just an old, crotchety man about my older games, dag nabbit!