Evermore Forums

Evermore Forums (http://www.evermoreforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Gaming (http://www.evermoreforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RPGs of today compared to the Old School RPGs (http://www.evermoreforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9791)

Kaffee 05-25-2005 12:30 AM

RPGs of today compared to the Old School RPGs

How do the stack up in your opinion? Have the gotten better, storywise, gameplaywise, ect, ect.? I know the graphics are better and all that, but do you find yourself going back to old school to be nostalgic?

idgaf rpgfan 05-25-2005 12:45 AM

I like the new ones but I still go back to the old ones, the D&D goldbox still get my yime every now and then.

Lancet Jades 05-25-2005 12:47 AM

RPGs now have nothing on old-school RPGs. FF4/6, Lufia, Earthbound, Secret of mana, BoF1/2...and so much more.

Those old RPGs just have too much lasting power compared to today's games =/

Leknaat 05-25-2005 12:51 AM

I find myself going back to old school games but to be quite honest, my top games list is now being overrun with Playstation 1 and 2 games.

Zelphiel 05-25-2005 04:29 AM

I think they stack up about the same in a lot of areas. The only reason I'm so biased towards the old games is the nostalgia and attachment I have to them.

Miles 05-25-2005 04:33 AM

I guess old one's are better in alot of ways. Though, I never played any RPG's when I was younger...My love them started 6 years ago. Before then I loved Mario games and nothing else...So I guess, what was out around the time I got into them, yes. The one game that I go back to and finish at least once a year is Grandia...I think that's the only old game that I keep going back to, besides FFVII.
I mean, the new games are good and all...But unless they make another game that takes at least 100 hours to finish...I'll never be as happy as I am with the older games I play.

Chicken Little 05-25-2005 04:48 AM

really neweer games are spawns of older games concepts and elaborated because now you have more space.

The gameplay is more smoother now then in older games but in older games it feels more connected, which is attributed to the push for a non-linear approach to games. Graphics is a no brainer as far as eye candy, Storyline is debatable as that really depends on the people who write the stuff, and interactivity has increased within each gaming generation, since more buttons and whatnot has been added.

So really both are good and crap at the same time.

Gravity 05-25-2005 09:59 AM

I like the new school RPGs just a bit more than the old school ones.

The Deity 05-25-2005 02:48 PM

I'm more on the new age side of the RPG business.

I think that battle systems have gotten better in my mind for the most part--or have at least remained the same.

I think that characters have become a lot more interesting and able to relate to now (which I know most of you will disagree with). I suppose a lot of that a part of that likely has to do with the umped graphics and use of voices.

I think that the stories of games haven't declined really, or at least not as much as most people seem to think. I personally feel that Final Fantasy X has the best story in the entire genre.

I find replay value to be better with the current group of games as well. I've played Final Fantasy VI twice now and quite honestly I doubt I'll ever play it again. Also the incorperation of New Game + is a large bonus for current games.

I feel like RPGs have stolen some much need Action/Adventure elements as of late to keep them fast paced. Are they as nostalgic? No. Do I think that's a bad thing? No, they're nostalgic for a reason.

Pinkie Pie 05-25-2005 03:53 PM

Old school, definately. Too many of the newer games seem to think that graphics take priority over other aspects of the game, unfortunately. Not all of them, but enough of them to make me enjoy the older games more.

Square especially seems to be wobbling back and forth between games that are really good and enjoyable, and games that are just kinda "meh".

Then again, I seem to have a definate bias against 3D RPGs... *shrugs*